Chapter 3- Friend?

The next week was nothing but adjustments.

Abe had sent my stuff and a letter. I read it as I stood outside the mailroom in the main building. Students now filled the halls, talking, chatting,

Elias,

Just wait at least a week until you tell GrimFather. I need a head start at least. I realized this life wasn't one I was meant for. I'm not built for grief, and death is something I realize I want a lot of distance from. I know I wasn't a proper GrimBrother, but I didn't want to drag this out and disappoint him or you further.

I'm begging. Just a week before you let him know I've gone.

-Abe.

"Morning Elias!" I lift my eyes up to see the Headmistress and Professor Klein walking side by side, arms filled with paper. Both of them wrapped in tweed, the headmistress favors earthy tones while the professor chose light grey for his suit colors today.

"Morning Headmistress, Professor." I nod to them both.

"Why so formal?" Professor Klein looks at me confused but the headmistress shakes her head.

"I've asked the same thing." She whispers. "What have you got there?" Gesturing to the letter in my hands.

"My babysitter decided to run off, left a note begging for a grace period from GrimFather." I snort as I fold the note back up shoving it into the envelope. "He's not getting far even with a weeks head start."

"Is your GrimFather spiteful?"

"Only when wronged." I wink.

"Did you get your class schedule?" Professor Klein asks and I hold up the green folder the was tucked underneath my arm. A few other students spilling out of the mailroom passing between us before the professor steps forward and takes a peak at my schedule.

"You have no classes with me?" He looks at the headmistress. "Why doesn't she have any classes with me? I teach literature, science, geography, she has all of there's here and none with me. I'm slightly offended." He looks to me.

"Nothing against you Professor Klein, but would there really be any satisfaction to teaching me anything when I was in fact raised by a teacher." I ask with a tight lipped smile.

"You have a point, but what if I know something you don't." He prods lifting his brow ready for a comeback.

"I'll entertain the idea. What do you know that I don't?" I ask.

"I can give you the most random obscure fact about grass."

"It's used to make alcohol." I reply quickly and he juts back in shock.

"I know random facts about grass, eggs, clouds, the human body, how long it takes to decompose," I shrug.

"You can learn something in one of my classes." He says with an assured nod. "I've met gifted students before and I've always managed to teaching them a fact or two."

"I believe you." I say gently taking back my folder. "But then I would feel a need to excel in that class and I've been the teachers pet before, I'm not interested in doing that again."

"There's no shame in being a genius." The professor tuts and walk off. The headmistress gently patting my shoulder before going the opposite way.

I wander off down the halls, flipping through my folder.

"Elias?" I look up and see Juni.

"Hi." My mood lifting instantly.

"I-I-I'm-umm..." he swallows hard and I hear a cruel cackle come behind me. The loud annoying chortle coming from a man no taller than me, sporting a greasy brown ponytail. He stood directly beside the blonde one that Juni knew, who also seemed to be laughing.