Chapter 33- On Guard

Kendric left in wild billow of onxy, soon it was just me.

Show them the daughter I raised.

"Elias, you can't listen to him." Ms Penelope speaks up just as he disappears. My eyes slowly raise to hers, her face paling as I drill my pupils into her magnified ones. "You can't."

"Can't what, Penelope?" My voice sharp.

Gravediggers are the outcasts. The outsiders. The secret nomadic necromancers that leave people shaking in fear. We hold the secrets and prayers that no one will ever hear. It why we are so powerful.

I am powerful.

"What if there was a smarter way?" She suggests moving around the couch, sitting in front of me as she plants herself on the coffee table.

"I'm all ears." I wave the glass in my hands but I knew there was no smarter way. There was this plan, or our way.

Our way is much more frightening.

"Frank would no doubt find out and change his plan if you get caught! What if you put yourself in danger?"

I couldn't help the boisterous laugh that left me. Laughing hard as the headmistress tries to reign me in again.

"Elias please!"

"I'm listening!" I giggle, trying to calm myself down. Me? In danger? Babe, I am the danger! "I'm listening."

"He could find out who you are and track you down. Back here probably, and you could put this school in jeapordy!"

"You have every right to be concerned." I say with a nod. "But if that were to happen, it would have already. Considering I beat Edward senseless on national news, Frank would have already seen it by now."

Our conversation was cut off by the loud sound of blaring alarms. Penelope's face falling, turning even paler. She looked like one of my spirits.

"Elias-" her voice quivering.

Blanton and Sam immediately racing out the door, Opala grabbing Juni's arm immediately stopping him from approaching me.

"Tell me you have a defense plan." I say lowly putting my glass down and standing.

"We've been preparing but I didn't think....I didn't think....I didn't-" she stutters and I grab her arms and pull her off the coffee table, my hands gripping her upper arms tightly.

"The students won't need to fight Penelope. But if we are going to protect this school I'm going to need your help." I state calmly, speaking slowly as she begins to nod her head to my words.

"Okay...okay, what do you need me to do?"

We appear at the entrance of the gate, Opala and Juni back at the house, while Ms. Penelope and I stand at the open gates of the school, facing an entire army.

I could hear their hearts beating.

Not that many, three hundred in total.

How would the headmistress feel about an open grave next to the school?

These questions would have to wait as line by line soliders part for Frank to emerge. My eyes immediately focus on his face, capturing every detail I could.

Avis whispering loud.

Take him. Take him!

He spoke first.

"The last time I saw you," his voice deep, loud as he swiveled around to face his men before turning back to me. "You were a teary eyed little girl with a knife, and you killed Avis!"