Chapter 6- Ruby House

Entering the Ruby House, I nearly holler at the interior design. Chandeliers hanging from the ceiling, the walls painted a bright crimson and a plush carpet lining the whole lobby to match.

There were two more elevators here than in Obsidian, all the doors polished with a metallic red finish. A few students perusing in the lobby stopped to stare, and then I noticed one Caleb watching me with seething eyes.

I wink back at him and that seems to set him off, just in time the elevator doors open and we file in.

Opala

Standing next to the bitch feels the same as walking in to a walk in freezer. She smells of nothing but dirt and salty sea waters. I stare at the hat in her grip at her side. The tip of the hat dragging on the floor limply, and it seemed too excessive for the weather.

I hear Juni's heartbeat thumping hard, the rhythm wasn't quick and skiddish; the beat of his heart was loud and seemed to pulse through him with every breath. His hands gripping onto themselves as I see a sheen of sweat on his brow, this is the most nervous he's been.

Juni was just coming home, to Seth. What's the matter?

"Easy." The goth next to me seems to notice this too. She reaches out, putting a single index finger under his chin and lifting his eyes to hers.

I want to stomp my foot and rip her hair out by the roots. But the thoughts don't feel the same as they quickly subside into something else. I look and see a brightness in his eyes, something relaxing in his as his hands fall back down to his sides.

"You okay there?" She asks him and he nods taking deep soothing breaths as we ride to the near top of the building. Eventually we come to the fourteenth floor, where Juni's former apartment was. And he leads the way, fishing for keys out of his sweatpants as we follow him down the hall.

The childish design on the back of his shirt swishing and waving with every stride.

He never wore something like that before, and he always wore jeans!

We get to the door and he quickly unlocks the door, inside Seth is sitting in the living room with a couple of his other friends, the all stand at the sight of us.

Seth switches from relaxed, but his eyes begin to fill with concern and a bit of anger.

"Juni!" He shouts and Juni stops in his tracks immediately looking at the floor. Hands grasping onto themselves, trembling with the effort to stay still.

I see it, he is truly afraid of his brother.

Oh no...

"Where have you been? I wake up this morning and you're gone, and your hanging out with-" his sentence is cut short as the witch pushes Juni into the hall in a hurry to find his room. They shuffle into Seth and Juni's shared room and quickly close the door just before Seth can stomp his way in.

I stare truly shocked at how quickly she managed to get him into the room. Seth bangs his fist on the door and I can hear from the other side of the door Juni's rapidly increasing heart beat.

"Alright Seth, that's enough. He's your brother." I say sucking my teeth as I strut over to him. Seth continues to bang on the door shouting Juni's name. He raises his fist again and before I can pull him back the door is yanked open and there stands a beaming witch.

She is honestly intimidating with the way she smiles, there's something almost unhinged in the way her eyes lock on Seth's.

"What are you doing with my brother?" He steps closer, almost growling in her face, but she doubles down.