Chapter 8- Descretion

"So who do you have later?"

"I have the protection and self defense class, I spoke to the teacher, well more like trying to speak to the teacher, he saw the problem and promised to work with me." Juni says. "He says I can come after hours for extra help, a lot of students are doing it."

"That's great! Have you talked to Seth since you moved out?" I ask as we walk down the sunlit hall to his next class.

"I want to, but I think he's just going to get angry and not hear me out. He won't understand." Juni looking to the ground solemnly. Today he was dressed in pink, with pink sweat shorts to match the Hawaiian shirt he wore that was also printed with strawberries. He also asked me to use my makeup to draw a strawberry on his cheek, which I was more than happy to do.

I was his opposite of course in all black. A long flowing skirt that reached the floor, that covered the flats I wore, along with a cap sleeve corset top, my hats brim in a tight grip at my side. My hair tied into two braids that fell over my shoulders to the front meeting the top of my thighs. And the simple black fingerless gloves and armband I always wore.

"What about Opala?" I change the subject. "Do you think she'll understand?"

"I want her to. But she's angry at me too. I think it's just going to take a while."

"You're doing very good though. You're barely stuttering when you talk now." I say pulling him in for a squeeze.

"What about you? You have that sculpting class but what about after?" He asks as we casually stroll into the cafeteria.

"I'm thinking of bothering the headmistress for some herbs to plant around the edge of the garden. Maybe some catnip for our friends." I say as I snatch up a cilantro leaf from the salad bar we pass tickling his nose with it.

"Elias." We are cut off by Opala and...Sam.

"Elias." Sam repeats lowly which makes me eyes him cautiously. "The lord is my god, derived from Elijah." Something in the way he says it has me staring at him for longer than I should.

"Yeah. Can we help you?" I ask politely.

"Sit with us. Have lunch. Juni and I have a lot to talk about anyways. It's been a while since you moved out, right?" She gestures for Juni to join them. He pulls on my forearm looking at me with pleading eyes.

I hum to myself but follow, letting Juni lead me to their table. We sit near the broadcast Tv on in the cafe, students crowded around as they listen to the announcer.

"This just in, we received devastating reports of two packs that have thought to simply not be responding back to legal authorities in quite some time, have just been confirmed to have been eliminated entirely." Students around the Tv screen gasp in shock and dismay. "There have been no leads and local authorities are offering compensation for any Grave Diggers to commute out to the pack sites and perform their last rites."

I stand just as quickly as I sat down and offer a polite smile to the table.

"I have to go. We'll have lunch another time. See you Juni." I say and turn fast walking out of the cafeteria ignoring the passing stares I got on the way out.

Normally GrimFather would be here for this kind of thing, but he hasn't reached out since I told him about Abe ditching me. I have no idea where he could be, he never made it a habit of telling me anything about his side of the job.

I reach the apartments and rush into my room to start pack, halfway through it I hear banging on my front door. Voices on the other side of the door before I hear Juni fiddling with my key pad that I personally installed after moving in.