CHAPTER 34

It was visiting day on Saturday and parents and guardians trooped in one after the other to check up on their children and wards. Some of them drove into the school compound with flashy cars and showed up in extravagant attires, especially the women.

The students hung around, waiting for their parents to arrive, while those who weren't expecting their parents watched from the windows. The school was crowded and somewhat noisy, albeit lively, as the children were excited to see their parents after a long time, especially the junior secondary students.

"Are you ready to make that call to your dad?" Jazz asked Mitchel as they stood a distance from Mrs William's office.

"Yes and no," he replied, looking visibly nervous.

"It's just a phone call, there's nothing to be nervous about."

"Easy for you to say."

"There's not enough time, you need to go knock on that door before another parent walks in," Jazz prompted him but he remained on the spot as a woman in an ankara dress, very high heels and a big hat walked into the office like she owned it.

"That's Ella's mum," Mitchel told her and she shook her head, chuckling lightly.

"Well, no surprise there."

"Let me go and sit down for a while and think about what I'm going to say to my dad," Mitchel said and sat on the sofa in the reception. Jazz sat beside him.

The Secretary came out of the principal's office and frowned when she saw them lounging on the sofa.

"What are the two of you doing here?" She asked.

Before Mitchel could open his mouth, Jazz responded with a sweet smile, "We're waiting for someone."

"Is this where you are supposed to wait? Go and wait inside, when any of your parents gets here, we will send for you." She shooed them out of the reception, and just as they were leaving, Ella was walking in. She and Jazz exchanged disdainful looks before Mitchel was able to pull Jazz away.

"Hey, watch it!" Jazz snatched her hand away from Mitchel's. "You literally almost dragged me out."

"If I hadn't, you would've chopped Ella's head off and it wouldn't be a pretty sight in front of her mother," Mitchel said, earning a chuckle from Jazz.

"I wouldn't have chopped her head off, rather, I would've pulled all her hair out."

"It still wouldn't be a pretty sight, especially since her mother knows she didn't give birth to a hairless child." They burst out laughing as they went into the school premises where a handful of other students were also waiting and watching for their parents and wards.

"Like I said, it's just a phone call, nothing for you to be scared about," Jazz reminded him.

"Easy for you to say because you don't have a dad like mine."

"Your dad may be strict, but he is your dad and if you tell him you want something that will make you happy, then what kind of a dad would he be if he didn't let you have it."

"Thank you for encouraging me, I don't think anyone has ever been this concerned for me in this way before. Everyone thinks I'm the perfect student; oh he's in science class, oh he's a brilliant boy, oh he's the pride of the school, he's going to become a doctor– but no one wants to know how I truly feel, well, except you."

Jazz stared at him, starting to feel sentimental but covered it up by joking around. "Oh, it's nothing. Therapist Jazz is always ready to help."

"We should go back inside, let's check if there is no one in Mrs William's office," Mitchel suggested and they went into the school building.