CHAPTER 24

After Amarachi was called into the principal's office, Mrs William told her that Fatima had fallen from the staircase as some careless person had spilled water on the steps and didn't bother to clean it up or call a cleaner. Fatima had been taken to the hospital where she was receiving treatment. When Amarachi asked to be allowed to go to the hospital to see her friend, Mrs William refused, saying they could communicate with each other through the phone.

Knowing there was nothing she could say to the principal to let her go, Amarachi reluctantly agreed and made to leave but Mrs William stopped her. She told Amarachi to pack all of Fatima's belongings including her clothes, books and other important things. When Amarachi asked the reason why, she was told that Fatima's parents decided to withdraw their daughter from the school because of what happened.

Amarachi couldn't believe what she just heard. Her best friend was leaving the school. They had been best friends since they were in JS2 and never did anything without each other. Now she was leaving. She may never see her best friend again but at least they could talk on the phone. Mrs William snapped her out of her thoughts and asked her to do what she had been told to do before Fatima's parents arrived.

Amarachi obliged and left the office, still sobbing. She told her roommates what happened when she got back to the room and proceded to packing Fatima's things as she was told to. Her roommates consoled her, telling her that they could be her best friends if she wanted. That was just Jazz joking though and the rest of them laughed, knowing that no one could replace Fatima.

Fatima's parents later came to retrieve her belongings and they had a heated argument with Mrs William where they complained about the nonchalance of the students of the school which put their daughter in hospital and in a critical state. Mrs William tried to apologize to them but they wouldn't hear it, they were very angry. They finally left after they promised to deal with the school.

They definitely have anger issues, Mrs William thought to herself.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

The following afternoon, Mrs William called for an assembly. The students knew that whatever she wanted to say to them was important because they rarely had assembly in the afternoons unless something urgent came up and she wouldn't just interrupt their classes for no good reason.

"First, boring classes and now, another assembly? Could this day get any worse?" Jazz groaned as the teacher ushered them out of the class.

During the assembly, Mrs William informed the students and teachers of an inspection that would be carried out in the school. Apparently, Fatima's father, who was a renowned lawyer, involved the Ministry of Education and now it had sent representatives to inspect the school. No one knows what he had said to them to make them want to conduct an inspection on the school.

The students were then ordered to stay in their rooms until the inspection was over. Some teachers were assigned to stay in school with the principal and her vice while the inspection was going on while some were assigned to stay in the hostels with the students.

"This could've been done in the morning so we would have a day off," Jazz whined as she, Kelechi and Ronke headed to their room.

"We wouldn't have gotten a day off, Mrs William only asked us to go back to our dorms because it's almost closing time and you know how excited and noisy students can be when school's closed for the day," Kelechi explained with a chuckle.

"At least we won't have to go for prep today," Ronke said and shrugged.

"You're right," Jazz agreed, smiling.

By the time they got to their room, Amarachi was already leaving. "Where are you going Amara?" Kelechi asked.

"To my friend's room," Amarachi replied.