CHAPTER 8

The classroom was very rowdy as the science and art students had a joint class. Jazz was busy bragging about her luxurious life to a group of students who flocked around her and to anyone who cared to listen. Abu was cracking his infamous jokes to a group of girls who were giggling away. Kelechi and Ronke were chatting with their friends when Osas walked up to them with a smirk.

"Hey, fine girl," He said as he sat on the desk in front of Ronke.

Ronke scowled. "What do you want now?"

"I want your love," He sang.

The other girls laughed but stopped when Ronke glared at them.

"I'm sorry but you can't have it," Ronke replied dryly.

"I always get what I want," Osas said, leaning forward.

"Just leave me alone." Ronke pushed him away but he held onto her hand. "Leave me alone I said!" She repeated and made to slap him but he held her hand. She struggled to free her hands to no avail.

"Leave her alone!!" Her friends tried to help her by pulling her away from him but he wouldn't leave her.

"Can't you see how much I love you Roro?" Osas said before letting go of her hands.

"All I can see is how crazy you are. Don't you dare touch me again you pervert," Ronke warned.

"How could I possibly keep my hands away from you," Osas said and held her waist but before Ronke could react, someone pushed Osas roughly to the ground.

"Babe are you okay?" Divine asked her but she was too shocked to respond as her eyes darted around the class.

The class had gone quiet and was beholding the scene before them. Osas slowly got to his feet and dusted his uniform, clearly annoyed. Divine stepped right in front of him and they started to confront each other in pidgin English.

"Guy wetin dey sup now, why you dey push me anyhow?" Osas asked in anger.
(Why did you push me like that?)

"Na you I dey suppose ask that question. Why you dey misbehave with my babe?" Divine replied and everyone oohed.
(I should be asking you that question. Why are you misbehaving with my girl?)

"I no know now. You for tell me say na your babe, I for no reason am."
(I didn't know. You should've told me she's your girl, I wouldn't have touched her.)

"Now you done know, so make you no dey behave with her like that again."
(Now you know, so don't behave this way towards her again.)

Osas rubbed his elbow. "Something you for tell me without pushing me like that, na because you be my guy na why I no retaliate."
(You should've just told me instead of pushing me, it's because you're my guy that's why I didn't retaliate.)

"I'm sorry about that," Divine apologized.

"It's okay, you for tell me since say Ronke na your babe so I go know how I go dey look am," Osas said jokingly and Divine chuckled but Ronke was not amazed in any way as she glared at him.
(You should've told me before that Ronke was your girl so I won't eye her.)

"Thank you for your attention, you may go back to what you were doing now," Divine said to the class and they did as he said while some of the girls formed gossip groups.

When everyone had gone back to what they were doing, Ronke pulled Divine to a corner. "Why did you call me your babe in front of the whole class?"

"What do you mean?"

"I want to know why you called me your babe in front of the whole class," Ronke repeated quite irritatedly.

"Because you're my babe," He said and tried hold her hands but she withdrew them. "Is everything okay?" He asked.