Chapter 12

Roslyn POV:

I sucked in a breath, a little caught off guard.

Harry glanced at me before yelling, "Yeah! Come on in."

To my surprise, a woman followed in the nurse from earlier. She was average height, mid 40s, with brown hair and glasses. Her smile was wide, but you could tell it was genuine. Her lab coat pocket clearly read " JoAnne Thomas, MD."

"Hello, you must be Roselyn," she said, smiling warmly. "My name is Doctor Thomas, but you can call me Dr. Anne if you'd like. I understand you came in here for a check-up?" She looked down at her chart. "A lot of your medical information is missing, but I'm sure we can fill it in later. Should we just go ahead and get started?"

She smiled at me again, and I nodded.

"Okay. I'm going to ask you lads to leave," she said to to the boys. "I'm sure Roselyn would like some privacy," she winked.

Once the nurse ushered the boys out, Dr. Anne turned to me. "Hey, I get how nervous you must be. If you feel uncomfortable, just let me know, okay? I've know the boys for a long time, and I know they have your best interest at heart." I nodded again.

"Okay, Roselyn, can you step over here for me?" She directed me to an area in the room where there was a scale and a measuring chart on the wall. The nurse wrote down the numbers as she called them out, and I could tell they were both troubled by them. They also took my temperature and looked into my eyes and ears.

"Everything looks okay so far. Now we're getting into the more physical part of this exam, which I can't do over your baggy clothes. Can you strip down into your underwear and bra for me? I promise we'll get this done as quick as we can." Dr. Anne and the nurse began to turn away, but I hesitated.

"Um... I don't have a bra on..." I said softly.

"Don't worry about it, we'll be quick," Dr. Anne said, her back still to me.

I stripped quickly to just Louis' boxers and cleared my throat. I could see the shock on both of their faces once they turned around, but Dr. Anne was hiding it a little bit better. She swallowed her surprise and carried on as if everything was normal.

They took my blood pressure and checked my oxygenation levels. After they did all the physical stuff, like checking to make sure I didn't have scoliosis and things, I put my clothes back on and they left the room.

Louis POV:

It was nerve racking to be waiting outside and not know what was going on. Of course, it was Ro's first doctor's visit, probably ever, so we knew it wasn't going to be short. Still, they had been in there for over 20 minutes and I was beginning to get worried.

Finally, Dr. Anne and Nurse May walked out, and I could tell by their looks that something was wrong. As they approached us, I could hear my heart beating in my ears.

"Something definitely happened to that girl," Dr. Anne was saying. She sighed heavily. "Roselyn is extremely malnourished and underweight, and all the symptoms that come with that. I'm sure from what is visible that you suspect physical abuse, but I'm not sure you guys know the extent of it. Every cut and bruise seem deliberate - so much so that I would like to do a pelvic exam, maybe even a rape kit. Unfortunately since you guys aren't her legal guardians yet, I would need her consent. And I doubt she would give it. Whoever this person is really did a number on her. Are you guys planning to prosecute - trial and everything?"

"It was her Dad," Harry said. "but right now we just want to focus on Rose."

"What can we do?" I asked.

Dr. Anne sighed again. "You can try to let us get a rape kit. I'm sure the cops would be grateful for any evidence we could obtain since she's already showered."

"Aren't those extremely intrusive and traumatic?" Niall asked.

Dr. Anne nodded. "However, not doing one leaves the possibility that whoever did this may go free, and so it's up to Roselyn to decided whichever scenario is more terrifying. Going through with the kit may avoid her having to face her father in trial. DNA evidence up front is more likely to make someone confess and plead guilty."

Roselyn POV:

Niall, Harry, Louis, Dr. Anne, and Nurse May all walked in a few minutes later.

It was as if I was underwater as they started explaining everything to me. My head was cloudy, my ears were stuffed, and I just wanted them all to go away so I could breathe. I couldn't handle all of this right now. I didn't want to.

Tears welled up in my eyes, and I tried not to let them fall. It's not as if I was embarrassed to cry - the boys had seen me sobbing as recently as this morning. I was just so, so tired. I felt overwhelmed and overstimulated and I just wanted all the chaos to end.

Louis grabbed my hand, sensing my frustration. "No matter what, we're all right here with you." He pulled me out of my fog and back into reality, and I took a deep breath.

"Okay," I said shakily.

~

Louis stayed with me the whole time. I could tell he was uneasy with the whole situation, but having him there made me a lot more comfortable and relaxed, and I guessed he knew that.

After the whole ordeal, I went into the bathroom to change out of the hospital gown they gave me. When I stepped out, Louis was sitting on the bed, hands clasped, and looking at the floor.

I immediately felt extremely guilty. Every time I had a crisis, I went to him. He had seen more of me than any of the other boys, and I remembered how hurt he looked when he had helped me with my cuts and burns on the first day. Today, I had put him through something 10x worse.

"Lou, I'm so sorry..." I said, trying to choke back sobs for the millionth time today. "I - I shouldn't have made you stay and I know you were uncomfortable and - and I was being selfish and-"

He hugged me close and calmed me down immediately. No words were said, and yet I knew that he was telling me that there was nothing to apologize for and that he would always be there for me.

We sat like that for a few minutes until Harry and Niall walked in, having finished the paperwork. They joined our hug-pile on the bed.

Once we untangled our limbs, Niall called Liam and Zayn on the phone to check-in. There weren't many details to give, and they said they were still working on it.

"How about we all go to lunch? Get some food, clear our minds, fill our bellies, yeah?" Harry said, and I smiled.

"Always thinking about food, aren't you?" Louis laughed.

"Where would we go? Do you think the paparazzi would follow us?" I asked.

"Oh that reminds me! You haven't met Ace - he's been working on getting everything set up for us," Niall said. "There's this sandwich place that we love - and don't worry, it's pretty secluded. I think you'll like it."

"And then after we can get you some real clothes and shoes," Louis added.

"Okay, let's do it," I smiled.