Chapter 22

Trigger warning: mentions and depictions of sh (***)

Roselyn POV:

There is silence in the car for a few moments before Louis asks me quietly, "Why?"

"There's something I need to get," I reply.

"I'm sorry to be so harsh but isn't it a crime scene right now?" Liam says.

"I don't know but I'm sure the landlord's changed the locks or something by now Rose," Zayn's says.

"Please," I ask again.

Another moment of silence passes.

"Tell me where to go," Harry says finally.

~~~

"This is where you live?" Niall asks as we pull into the alley next to the apartment. "I mean lived," he corrects.

"Mmhmm," I say, climbing over him to get out of the car. "You guys wait here. I'll be quick I promise."

"Be careful love," Louis calls after me as I shut the door.

I easily jump over the balcony and head to the bedroom window. Luckily for me it's unlocked, and I slide up the glass and squeeze in.

Nothing has changed. My father's room is still in the same filthy state it was in when I left. It doesn't look like the building super has realized that no one lives here anymore, but he probably will when the rent isn't paid in a few weeks.

I walk through the dark apartment, being careful about the glass littering the floor, and head to my corner behind the couch.

I grab the only book that I own - White Lilacs by Carolyn Meyers. I was forced to leave it behind when I ran away. Just like my mother left me behind when she left.

She had read it to me so many times, I lost count. It's one of the best memories I had of her.

I tried not to tear up as I clutched it in my hands, the cover worn and tearing. I wanted to start a collection of novels in my room, but it would never be complete without this one.

Afterwards, I turned back around and snuck out the way I had come. This was the last time I was going to be here, for real this time.

Ace was talking with the boys when I got back to the car. They were standing outside, waiting for me.

"Everything alright Rosie girl?" Liam asks, and I just nod.

When we get back in the car, I took a seat in the 3rd row by myself on purpose. I just needed a minute.

None of the boys mentioned it and eventually I fell asleep leaning against the window, my book tightly curled in my hands.

~~~

Back at the house I head straight up to my room and shut the door behind me. I place the book on my bookshelf and stand back to look at it for a few seconds. I shift the positioning of it for a while, and I collapse on my bed once I'm satisfied.

By the time I wake up, it's dark outside, and it seems to be very late as well.

I head downstairs, the microwave reading 1:13 am. There's a saran wrapped plate on the counter and a sticky note that reads "In case you get hungry Ro - ♡ Harry."

I smile but place the plate in the fridge, not wanting it to sit outside any longer. I hadn't gotten my appetite back yet and the thought of food gave me the slightest bit of nausea.

I head over to the living room where I find Louis and Zayn sleeping on the couch. They must have waited up for me but I never showed.

Instantly I felt really bad. I didn't want to cause them any trouble, and here I was making them worried.