Chapter 13

Niall POV:

We knew everything with Roselyn was bad, we just didn't realize how bad. Louis was trying to put on a brave face for Rose, but we could tell he was pretty shaken up after being in the exam room with her while they did the rape kit. Harry tried to distract her by telling her some stories of how our band got together, which seemed to be working. He walked beside her while Nurse May rolled her into the elevator.

Me and Louis hung slightly behind. "Are you okay mate?" I asked him quietly, and he nodded. "Okay, we can talk about it after," I said, and he nodded again.

Once we reached the ground floor, we took another elevator to the parking garage below the hospital where Ace was waiting with the SUV.

"Hey guys I'm gonna drive the car back to the house. Zayn and Liam are gonna pick me up and we'll all meet up at the sandwich place, okay?" I said, pulling out my keys.

I watched as Harry and Louis helped Roselyn into the car and sat on either side of her. I nodded as Ace closed the doors behind them and headed into the drivers seat. Roselyn rolled down the window and waved at me and Nurse May as the car pulled out of the garage.

Once in the car, I called Zayn on my phone. "How's it going?"

"Well, we finished applying for Emergency Foster Care status, and it usually takes a few days to process. I don't know why it's called emergency if it takes so long, but Liam somehow knows a judge or something and is going to get it approved for us today," Zayn says.

"That's awesome! Anything else about Rose and her dad?" I ask.

"Yeah, that's what I was talking to the lawyers about too. Turns out its public information why someone is in jail, but all the news sources have to take down all the stuff they posted about Roselyn because she's a minor. They have 24 hours, and if it's not all down by then, we can sue and even press charges," Zayn replies.

"That's awesome. I'm sure Harry, Louis, and Ro will be glad to hear all the news," I say.

"Yeah! We'll be on our way to pick you up soon, I saw your text. But how did everything go with Rose? You guys were there a long time. Did they find something in her checkup?" Zayn asks.

I hesitate for a moment before replying. "Umm, is Liam there?" I ask.

"Mmm.." Zayn pauses for a second. "Yeah, he's just coming out of the office right now. Hey, did it go well?" Zayn says, addressing Liam.

"Yeah, we got it! Roselyn can stay with us until we officially become her foster parents," I hear Liam say over the phone.

"That's great! Oh hey Niall, did you hear the news? Roselyn can stay with us!" Zayn says. "We're heading to the car right now. What was it that you wanted to tell us? You're on speaker."

"I heard and I am so glad," I say. "I'm afraid what I have to tell y'all isn't good news." I pause to take a breath and gather myself. "Dr. Anne suspected that Roselyn was being abused..."

"Yeah, we figured that..." Liam said.

"Sexually abused," I say. There was a silence as Liam and Zayn processed the information. I continued. "It was worse than we could have imagined. He was starving her, beating her, raping her. God, it was horrible. But she agreed to a rape kit and pelvic exam so we could use it in her trial."

I hear Zayn suck in a sharp breath as Liam spoke. "Oh my... to go through a rape kit after all of that? I can't imagine what she's going through."

"Louis stayed with her, and he's pretty shaken up about it. This whole thing is taking a toll on all of us..." I said.