Chapter 17

Roselyn POV:

I sit quietly in the car on the way to the hospital. It's not an uncomfortable silence, but still there's a bit of tension in the air.

Louis plays music quietly. I think he hopes maybe I'll open up. I don't feel like talking right now, though. So much is going on.

Thankfully, the hospital is quiet this time when we arrive. Thinking of all the flashing lights makes me shudder.

Nurse May greets us at the parking garage, and she gives me and Louis a hug.

"Thank you for bringing her in," she says.

"Yes, we were worried about her too," Louis replies.

She gives me a soft smile as she leads us up to an exam room, similar to the one I was in before. The blinds in here are wide open, however, bathing the room in cool sunlight.

"Dr. Thomas will be right in, okay?" Nurse May says before stepping out.

I sit on the exam bed and shudder again, thinking back to the last time I was here. With Louis. Getting a rape kit. Ugh.

Suddenly I feel small and ashamed and gross. Louis instantly picks up on it and sits next to me, a hand around my shoulder.

"It's going to be okay sweet girl. We're going to get through this. No matter what comes, the boys and I will always be here for you," he says softly.

I nod, whispering out a "Thank You".

We sit quietly, both of us staring out the window and waiting for Dr. Thomas. My head still hurts from passing out yesterday, and I didn't have the most comfortable time sleeping last night. I try to focus on the good — I'll never have to see my dad again, I have food and clothes and heat — all the amazing things that this crazy goofy group of guys have given me. It works, and I find myself giggling at the little quirks in each of them. Louis looks over at me with a raised brow, but smiles with me.

A few more moments pass and Dr. Thomas walks in.

"Good morning Roselyn, Louis. We have a lot to talk about today, don't we?" she says with a smile.

~~~

Walking back to the car, lollipop in hand, I feel much better. Of course, I know the bubble will be popped once we get back home.

I still can't believe it though. I might have a home. I roll the word over my tongue, the texture weird. I've never had one before. And in less than a week I've gotten closer to being part of one than in my 15 years of life.

Louis opens the door for me and walks around to the driver's side. "How are you doing hun?" he asks, starting the car.

"I'm okay. It's weird..." I start trailing off.

"I know babe. This is all new. Talk to me though, I want to make sure you're okay," he says.

"Yeah, I'm good. It's just... I'm not used to all this... you know? Going to the hospital twice in one week. Everyone's fussing over me. I mean, I've never really thought about my health before. I just kind of... I don't know. I feel a little dumb," I say honestly.

Louis is quiet for a moment before replying. "I hear you Roselyn. I'm sorry that you never had anyone that was looking out for you and teaching you how to take care of your body, but I promise we're here for you now, and we will get through this together."

I nod a reply as Louis backs out of the parking spot and turns on some music.

Once we get back home, Niall and Harry are in the kitchen cooking.

"Hey, how did it go?" Harry smiles as we walk in.

Louis waits a second, giving me time to reply if I want to. When I don't say anything, he responds. "It went fine. Just some minor housekeeping things. Roselyn should be okay now," Louis says.

"That's good," Harry says, but I can hear a pang of hurt in his voice in the fact that I didn't reply.

Still, as much as it pains me to see him like this, I can't stop. Right now it feels like I'm drowning. It's so hard to find the words to do anything. There are times when I can relax, like enjoying the sunshine or talking with Louis, but I still have this need to be on guard all the time. It's exhausting.

"Yeah," Louis replies. "What are y'all making?" he asks.

"We decided to keep it simple for lunch," Niall says. "Grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup and Caesar salad. Sound good?" he continues, directing his question to me.

I nod politely. "I think I'm going to go lay down," I say.

"Okay lovebug, I'll call you down when lunch is ready," Harry says, and I nod again.

I head up the stairs to my room, passing Zayn in the music room. Or at least one of them. This house was so much bigger than I had gotten to explore yet.

I pause outside the door and listen as he strums on his guitar. He has a piece of paper in front of him and he seems to be very focused. He keeps trying new chords and writing them down as he goes.

I continue to watch through the gap in the door, fascinated by his creative process. Liam appears out of a corner, seemingly on his way downstairs, but he stops by me.

"He's good, isn't he?" he whispers to me, smiling, and I smile in response. Then he squeezes my shoulder and leaves me to listen.

I stand outside the door for a few moments longer. Music has always been fascinating to me. Ever since that first night when Zayn sang to me, I couldn't get his voice out of my head. It was so calming, I felt like I could truly relax. Even when it's background noise in the car on the way to and from the hospital, or when all the boys are singing their favorite songs over each other, it gives me a warmth I can't describe.

Just when I'm about to head back to my room, I hear someone call out my name.

"Roselyn hey! I didn't notice you there. Come in, I'm just working on a song," Zayn says to me.

I cringe inwardly before opening up the door and stepping inside. Thankfully, he doesn't seem to notice my embarrassment at being found out.

"Hey... it sounds really good so far," I manage to stumble out.

"Nah, you don't have to flatter me. It needs a lot of work," he replies with a sheepish grin.

"No, I really liked it," I say.

"Thank you," he smiles. "I don't know if you've heard but we're supposed to be going on tour soon, so I guess I gotta start working on some new music."

At hearing this, my heart drops.

Oh. They're going on tour. Of course this was just temporary. They're all going to be leaving soon to perform. And I'm going to be here. They're going to have to give me back to CPS. And the way things work out for me, I'll probably end up back on the streets. Or with my dad...

Before I can spiral too much into my thoughts, Zayn notices my change in expression and quickly tries to reassure me.

"Wait, no, Rose, don't freak out. That's a year away. I promise, we're not leaving you. I am not leaving you, okay? I promise love," Zayn says, placing his guitar down. He stands up and gives me a tight hug.

"And even if the tour started tomorrow, I wouldn't go without you. None of us would," he continues, and at this I start to break down and cry.

How did I get so lucky?

"Shhh, it's okay," Zayn comforts, continuing to hold me and let me cry into him. "You can let it all out. You're safe here. I mean every word."

And the best part is, I know that he does.