11. Falling

"So you want to be the next Yolherth Striker?" Coach Henry asks brightly, becoming solemn instantly, "You're all beginners."

Rory shakes his head before grinning, "But everyone starts somewhere!" He says with enthusiasm while Cam looks at him in disbelief. Well, the captain's got to be cheerful for the other people. He looks at the people trying out and says, "Okay so we'll be having a five on five practice matches, the one trying out will play as striker and we'll see if you can get the part." As the people nod, Rory turns to me, "Who should we call first, Gina?"

The formation that's deployed by the team is 4-3-3. There are two center-backs, two full backs, one defensive midfielder—Rory, two central midfielders, two wingers and one striker. Cam's the goalkeeper but we're missing the striker.

"Hmm," My gaze falls on the group of students, "Rowan?"

Rowan, an athletic junior gets up to some applause. He flashes me a thankful look and I give him a thumbs up in return.

"All right the rest of the team, get on the field as I told you earlier!" Rory calls out, clapping his hands.

When everyone's taken their positions, Coach blows the whistle and the game starts. Even though it's just practice and for a few minutes, everyone's playing seriously, as they should.

We watch Rowan run beside the substitute midfielder, determination on his freckled face. Liam runs diagonally and counters him in inside the goal's zone, forcing him out of the goal space. But before Rowan could shoot the ball, Liam takes the ball from him and the whistle blows.

"Nice try." Rory says, "But you should be able to beat the opponent in time and space, next."

"I've already given up." Kate whispers. I couldn't agree more. The next twenty minutes are even more painful to watch. Rory keeps yelling, "Your role is to score! You're the match winner!" but to no avail. Whoever comes up either lacks speed or shot accuracy. Two juniors kicked the ball straight to the opponent and that was when Rory stopped the tryouts.

"I don't think striker is best for you, but hey, we'll think about defense." He says to the tenth striker hopeful. I help him and Cam review the long list of the people.

"No one even came close to being ready for Clayton." Rory sighs. Amy pats his arm comfortingly,

"Don't worry babe." She says but Cam groans.

"He's right, we're gonna lose."

"There has to be someone!" Kate says exasperatedly. I find myself looking at the bleachers and see Ren watching. He lets out a heavy sigh. Our eyes lock and he straightaway leaves the stadium.

"Coach, come with me?" I say to Coach Gray before I follow Ren out, trying not to make that obvious. I catch up with him in the courtyard, Coach in my tow. Ren's gazing at the statue of the wolf.

"Ren, wait." I say.

He glances at me, "What? You done with those so-called Striker replacements?" He says, "You've got to admit no one can replace Morgan." He refers to the last striker.

"They tried their best."

"Gina, doing your best and failing is failing." He says grimly.

"I think you could be the next striker if you gave it a shot." Coach says warmly.

Anger flashes in his coal black eyes, "Not again!" he starts walking away from me but I block his path as Coach asks, "Do you fear this, Accetta?"

"You think I fear this?" He asks. I can tell he's doing his best to control his anger with Coach.