19. What love feels like

"Gina?"

Fast as flash, I sit up, pushing the comforter off me. Brushing a hand across my cheeks, I grab a notebook and pencil just as the door opens. Olivia's standing in the doorway, a tray in her hands. I immediately plaster a bright smile on my face, pretending to write something.

"Hey, what's up?" I say,

"I made you a fruit salad." She smiles, walking in. "since you haven't eaten anything all day."

"That's not true." I stare at her, "I had a cupcake." As if that counts for anything.

"Uh-huh," she sets the tray down, filled with a big bowl of an array of fruits along with a glass of milk.

The doctor had said that I was good to go and told me to come back if I experienced nausea or severe headache. Olivia got me home two days back. I told her I had an accident, leaving out the other part. She scolded me in the beginning but soon she was all soft and sweet. I spent both the days as a mess. But whenever she came to check up on me, I did my best to appear happy. Let her know I'm recovering.

I don't let her see how I'm really feeling. I don't let her see my pain. I don't want her to be sad as well.

So this is what heartbreak feels like.

"Should you be doing homework right now?" she asks, frowning as she pushes the tray towards me, "You should be resting for at least a week, don't pressurize your mind. Focus on recovering. Homework can be done later."

Thank god my calculator is beside me. I pick it up and punch in a few numbers, "I'm great, Aunt Liv, honestly."

"But your eyes are red." She points out, "Have you been crying?"

Traitor eyes of mine.

"That was because of the pain." I say, waving my hand casually, "I took the pills so I feel loads better now."

Never have I felt this worst in my life. If only I could travel back in time

"Are you sure you're feeling alright?" she asks,

"All good." I make an okay gesture with my thumb and forefinger, but don't quite make it. I rub my temple. The pain wasn't entirely gone. I'm not sure if the painkillers are working at this point. Or maybe it's because the pain is not physical. Ugh, me and my over thinking.

"Like mother, like daughter." Olivia shakes her head.

I laugh—though it comes out as a croak—a wave of emotion swelling inside me.

"You know its homecoming tonight?"

"What? Homecoming...really?" I ask, my jaw dropping. I pick up my phone, checking the date. No way.

"Yes," she nods, "You don't have to go, but I know how much you've been wanting to—"

"I'm not sure if I want to go." I say wryly.

"But you were so excited."

Yeah and then I messed up. I swallow hard, writing more numbers in the book. "I can't see you like this, honey."

I don't answer. What could I say to that? Gee, aunt Liv, I can't see myself like this either.

"I don't know." I say after two awkward minutes.

"Yes you do." She says firmly, "Don't let anyone take your place. That title belongs to you." she studies my face then. Look calm, look calm... "Hold up, does this have something to do with that b—"

No she can't know that.

"Fine, I'll go." Nothing better than this to get her mind off that,

Fortunately, she goes with it. "Finally," she smiles warmly, "Thank heavens."