24. The Lion's Den

Ren and I had decided we'd do our homework at my place. However, after a change of plans, we're busy bantering about Barty crouch's son, with me defending and praising him while Ren says that he was a total psychotic. (He's so against him it kinda makes me sad) But whatever, despite hearing negative comments about him, I maintain my belief in his intelligence.

To be honest, I was certain that Karkaroff put Harry's name in the goblet.

Amidst our debate, the chemistry books lie on the table, forgotten and alone. It's not like we jumped directly into baking; we did solve half of the equations. Technically, he solved them and explained the process to me but then I got a headache. Ren said that I was making an excuse but hey, this is way more fun than pondering over the empirical formula of di, ethyl heptane.

Anyway, I'd rather spend my time with him and bake brownies than lose our minds over carbon's relationships and situationships, thank you. I swear, after university. I'm never reading a chemistry book again. Or Physics. But that's another story.

"Barty rocked, end of discussion." I declare, cracking the last egg in the bowl.

"Barty sucked, end of discussion." He says simply,

"I can't hear you." I sing as I make my way to the pantry, looking over my shoulder to see him grinning. Even he can't win an argument against me. "Oh, and the cream's in the fridge if you'd like."

"Gina," He says slowly, puzzled. "There are seven refrigerators here."

I suppress my laughter as I watch him stare at the black refrigerators, unsure of which one to open. He looks quite endearing in his confusion.

Upon my return to the counter, I couldn't help but notice his unwavering concentration as he expertly blended the eggs, olive oil, and water. Observing his unwavering focus, I am convinced that this is the optimal choice over anything else.

"Can you open this for me?" I ask when he's done, holding up the packet of flour.

"Yep, I can." He takes it and I start sifting the cocoa powder in another bowl. Brownies have to be my favorite thing when it comes to sweets. I can eat them all day, every day. I think, getting the chocolate chips.

As I inhale deeply, I can't help but smile at the delightful aroma of cocoa powder and vanilla extract that surrounds me. The kitchen is infused with the scent of chocolate, which has a strong and slightly bitter smell.

Right as Ren opens the pack, we hear the jangling of keys. The next second, Vaughn pokes her head around the door.

"Miss Gina?" she glances at Ren, then begins staring while fixing her hair.

Oh my God, are you for real right now? I guess she can't help it, but still.

"Vaughn!" I snap my fingers, "I'm here."

She instantly turns her focus back to me, alarmed. Ren slips an arm around my waist then, pulling me flush against him. Vaughn's shoulders droop, I'm not even kidding.

I clear my throat and she straightens, "Sorry!" she flinches, and then informs me "But uh, your father's here." With that, she dashes out the door.

"Dad's here?" My eyes widen and I grab Ren's arm hastily, causing the packet he was holding to free-fall. I push the bowl with the whisked eggs and all to the side just as the packet drops to the counter with a soft thud, blowing up a world of flour everywhere.

Coughing, I wave my hand about, waiting for the literal flour to settle. My eyes are watering on top of that, lovely.

"There's my favorite person!"