Chapter 2 - Hold Your Head Up High

It's early in the morning and the sun is just beginning to rise on the horizon. It bathes the sky in a mixture of purple, orange and yellow. It is a breathtaking sight. I feel the longing of being up there. Being up in the clouds. Looking down onto earth where everything seems so small and trivial. But getting up there also means getting back into a fighter jet. Flying missions again.

I don't have a problem with risking my life. There is nothing I could lose anymore. My mother is dead. My fiancée is dead. I don't necessarily speak to my father. I don't have kids – I probably never will.

"Beautiful, isn't it", someone behind me says and I turn around. Captain William "Wifi" Hughes is standing behind me and I don't even try to salute, because I know he would get mad at me for doing it.

I have known this man for almost all my life as he is one of my father's best friends. He is one of the few I actually like. To be honest he is more a father to me, than my own. He was there when I graduated high school. He helped me preparing for the United States Air Force Academy. He was there when I graduated from it. He was there when I had my first flight in my awarded aircraft. And he even flew to Germany after I got rescued. Until now, he has never interfered in my career, unlike my father.

"He really made you come here, kid", he says and shakes his head in disappointment at the admiral's actions as he steps beside me.

"He did.", I tell him, and I can hear him sighing. I feel the same way.

Since the day I woke up in a hospital bed in Germany people pushed and persuaded me to get back into a plane. Things like, 'as soon as you are in there you will forget everything', or 'you just need to bite the bullet' were said to me.

As if it were that easy. It is not like I haven't tried. I can count myself lucky that I can now sit in a fighter jet without blacking out. But I can't get myself to fly. It feels like if there is a wall in front of that part of my brain and memories. Until a few weeks ago it looked different. My heart started racing. My whole body started to sweat. I was on the verge of passing out.

"He will never change. Once he sets his mind on something, he rarely lets go of it." He presses his lips together and I notice that he started to grow a mustache. It doesn't suit him. It looks ridiculous.

"I am not arguing with you about that, Sir.", I say and see him smirk.

"How have you been, kiddo? The last time I saw you was in Germany when you came back from the Middle East. I am not going to lie, you looked pretty banged up."

"Can't complain, Sir. Regained full motion of arms and legs back. Completed all the testing better than before."

"So, you are ready to get back into a plane? Or what are you already doing out here at this hour?"

"I could ask you the same, Sir."

"Nothing has changed in that department, I see.", he chuckles as he knows that I am someone who stands their ground and I always have something witty up my sleeve. Much to my father's and his despair.

"I met Jabba and Hyde yesterday. Johnson seems like a nice guy, that Hyde like a douche." Swiftly I change the topic, because I don't want to talk about me. And maybe I want to get his opinion on the golden boy.

"You got the full package. Hyde is a good pilot, even though he has his own mind and can be obnoxious as fuck when he is in the air – you haven't heard that one from me, kiddo, as I would deny ever saying he is good. We don't need to push his ego further", he starts and winks at me.

"Johnson is one of our best. Calculated, clear headed and always performs with one hundred twenty percent. That boy has a big career ahead of himself. I wouldn't be surprised if we spot him somewhere around here as he likes to do his own PT and check up on his plane before everyone else starts their day."