Chapter 8 - You're Gonna Be Okay

As soon as we land and are off the runway, Jabba opens the canopy and I get rid of my oxygen mask. It feels so good to be back on the ground again, even though I miss being in the air at the same time. However, I feel that my stomach has another idea as the plane is brought to a stop. Quickly I detach myself from all the belts that kept me safe in the air and climb out of the jet just in time to throw up everything I have eaten this morning next to it.

"Poor you, are you already experiencing morning sickness, Swift?", I can hear Hyde behind me and slowly get up from my bended position. Then I wipe my mouth with a sleeve of my flight suit and look at him.

"Next time, I will throw up on you."

"I gratefully decline. Tell me, how did you like my distraction? Did you like my voice?"

"You can sing better than you can fly", I tell him and a triumphant smile spreads across his lips.
"But you can't sing for shit.", I add quickly, and Jabba laughs next to me.

"I really don't know what I've done that makes you treat me this way", Hyde says with mocked wonder, but I am sure he knows what he has done just like Jabba back then.
"Seriously though, you did great up there. If I didn't know better, I'd think you two had been working together for years. Swift, you can be my wingman anytime."

Did he really just quote the movie Top Gun?

"That's a five bucks penalty right there. And yes, she was amazing." Do I hear pride in Jabba's voice?

"What penalty?", I ask both of them as I feel Jabba putting his hand onto my shoulder and squeezing it for a second before holding open the bag for my helmet. Oh yeah, I am still wearing that thing. I take it off, attach the cover on the visor before I put the helmet it into the bag and take it from him.

"Whenever you are caught quoting the movie Top Gun here at TOPGUN, you need to pay five bucks for it. As good as the movie is, nobody wants someone who behaves like Maverick as their lead or wingman. It's unprofessional and dangerous. This program is to be taken seriously.", Wifi explains as he steps to us. Where did the old man come from?

Quickly we salute and he starts to look me up and down, searching if something happened to me.

"How was your first flight here at Fallon?", Wifi asks me after he is done with his assessment.

"Good, Sir."

"Does that mean we'll be seeing more of you in the air with Lieutenant Commander Johnson? Or maybe even solo in that F-22 in the near future?"

"I don't know yet, but we will find out, Sir."

"I see... Anyways, it is already time for a lunch push. You should go and eat something, before the two of you prepare for the debriefing in the afternoon. Oh, and Lieutenant Havel, I'd like to speak to you in my office."

"Sir, what time do you have in mind?"

"How about five minutes ago.", Wifi says and then leaves us with Hyde hot on his tail.

"Do you think that he is in trouble?", I ask Jabba as they disappear in the distance.

"Not really. But the more important question is, are you ready to go and get lunch?"

"Oh yes.", I say, and my stomach starts to growl. LCDR Johnson and I look at each other and start to laugh.

"Come on, let's go. We have a lot of work in front of us and you need to get food into your system. You almost fainted once already today; I don't want to risk a second time." He sounds a little bit concerned. I don't know why, but it makes me feel somehow cherished.