♡ Chapter 24 ♡

Never in my life had I ever felt something like this. 

We drive along the road. Reese keeps taking concerned glances at me, yet I can't tear my eyes off of the dashboard in front of me, while holding my knees pulled into my chest.

Everything around me blurs. I can no longer hear the sound of the road or Reese's voice.

She was innocent. And I killed her.

She had a child. And I killed her.

It was Christmas day. And I killed her.

"Azalea!" Reese yells my name as I open my car door.

The fast and cold wind blows my hair across my face. The night is completely dark and the snow has melted off of the ground.

It feels as if I'm drunk as I get out of the car. Reese had slammed on the brakes, so I was able to step out easily.

My chest rises and falls quickly, my breath showing in the cold air. I sway while walking as if I had just done 10 shots. My ears only ring, and I can't hear Reese calling my name anymore.

I run forward. I'm having a panic attack.

It's hard to breathe. It feels like there is a heavy weight on my chest. I can't feel my body but I can see my hands trembling. 

I continue running until my lungs feel as if they were getting lit on fire with a match. The burning in my lungs is the first thing that I can start to feel again.

I fall to my hands and my knees as my ears continue to ring. I have to force my eyes to blink and the world around me looks blurry. My bare hands press against the grass that I know is freezing, yet I can't feel it.

I killed an innocent.

A train's loud horn snaps me out of my panic attack. It flies down the track in front of me, sending a huge gush of wind to hit me. 

My lips part at the shock of the train. I had stopped just before it, and hadn't even noticed it. If I lifted my hand out and in front of me, I'd be able to touch it as it continues to fly by.

Silent tears roll down my cheeks.

I did it. I killed an innocent.

The train passes, and the cold wind that was rushing at me stops. I remain on my hands and knees and cry.

I cry so hard. I cry so hard that I feel it in my stomach. I cry so hard that I feel like I'm gonna throw up.

She was a human being.

She had a baby.

And I killed her.

Black shoes step before me before the body kneels down to me. Warm and strong hands hold my cheeks, and I instantly recognize the comforting touch as Reese's.

I sniffle, and start hiccuping from my crying.

"Azalea," he says gently while wiping my cheeks. "They would've told Joesph what we were doing if they didn't die. I know it's hard, baby, but you can't blame yourself like this."

"They had a baby," I cry. My bottom lip wobbles. "That poor baby is going to grow up without their parents."

He looks at me sympathetically, wiping every single tear that fell from my eyes.

"иногда самым красивым людям приходится делать самые уродливые вещи," he says in a voice that is not sad, but understanding.

I sniffle and ask, "What?"

He tucks a strand of my hair behind my ear. 

"Sometimes the prettiest people have to do the ugliest things," he says in English.