- 6 - goodbyes -

the group got home fifteen minutes before they had to be at the airport. when they entered the house, they were met with mary lou and jimmy hurriedly packing the minivan, and laura clearing out space in her car. the triplets, madi, and freyja were all going to drive to the airport in laura's car, so mary lou and jimmy had more space in the minivan for luggage.

"great timing guys. you missed out on packing the car," jimmy exclaimed as he almost bumped into matt while carrying the last suitcase out to the car.

"sorry, we were at chuck e. cheese and we forgot the drive back here was twenty minutes," matt replied, glancing over at the others, who were all heading upstairs. mary lou just nodded her head, a hint of a smile on her face, and then matt was chasing the others up the stairs.

upon entering madi's room, all the mattresses had been packed up, and the only things that were left were the boy's suitcases. madi sat on her bed, watching sadly as the boys scoured the room to make sure they had left nothing behind. freyja stood leaning against the door, watching as chris almost spilled an open pack of Doritos all over the floor.

"hey, mads, are you ok?" nic asked after noticing madi's sad expression. he came and put an arm around the girl, and freyja went over to watch chris as he tried to stuff too much shit into his suitcase.

"I just-i miss you guys when you go away," the younger girl replied, sniffling a little. nic just squeezed her tighter. "don't worry, we miss you too. but we will see you as soon as we're back." madi just nodded her head, and squeezed nic back.

"chris, there's no way you'll be able to fit all that into your suitcase," matt huffed, coming to stand next to freyja as she watched him trying to stuff three hoodies and a pair of slides into the already full case.

"you just watch," was all he said in reply, and a minute later the case was zipped up and bulging. freyja carried chris's overnight bag, and madi helped carry nics backpack and one of matt's spare hoodies that wouldn't fit into his bags. the kids all climbed into the car. madi was in the front with her mom, freyja was squished between nic and chris, and matt sat in the very back. the drive to the airport was almost completely silent. an old harry styles song played in the background, and madi's gentle singing was the only sound anyone made.

"just stop your crying it's a sign of the times," madi sang quietly. nic began to sing with her, madi glancing back and grinning at him. then laura joined in, and then nic. finally, freyja and matt gave in, and everyone was singing.

"We don't talk enough. We should open up before it's all too much. Will we ever learn? We've been here before. It's just what we know," the song reached its crescendo, and if anyone else could hear them, they would be covering their ears. it was safe to say that the group could not start a band.

as the song ended, everyone erupted into explosive giggles. "we should totally start a band," chris joked from next to freyja, who laughed even harder. "no, we should go on the x factor", she shot back in reply causing everyone else to laugh.

"they would kick us off before we were even on tv!" madi exclaimed. she could barely get the words out, she was laughing so much. "we could be the next one direction," matt wheezed out.

"I've tried playing it cool, but when I'm looking at you I cant ever be brave cos you make my heart race," nic's horrible singing could be heard from the backseat as he began to sing 1d. this just made everyone laugh harder, and then chris tried to harmonize.

"we would definitely get kicked off the x factor"," nic said once he'd stopped laughing.

"harry would be disappointed," madi shook her head.