- 21 - frozen custard -

"i didn't know you were a fan of glee," freyja observed as she looked out the window. small cottages covered in snow and set a vast distance from each other flew past them as they began to enter the small town of laives.

the two had finally calmed down after the excitement of being on the radio and winning a trip to six flags. "yeah, i used to watch it when i was in like eighth grade. nic still watches it, so ill watch it with him if im, like, extremely bored," matt refused to let his eyes wander off the road to look at freyja.

"huh, i still watch it. its my favorite show. I've watched it over 20 times," freyja didn't look at matt either. when he didn't respond, she reached for his phone that sat in the center drinks holder. "password?" she asked.

matt looked at freyja suspiciously. "trevor." freyja giggled, and matt tried his best to keep his eyes on the road.

once she was in, freyja went onto matt's apple music and searched for the song she was looking for. a minute later, the very first glee version of don't stop believin' began to blast through the speakers. matt grinned, turning off the freeway and into the small town. freyja put her window down and turned the music all the way up.

"freyja," matt warned. she pretended not to hear.

"put your window down!" she yelled over the music.

matt defiantly shook his head.

"please!"

"no."

"please," freyja battered her eyelashes just as matt looked over. he couldn't resist! trying not to grin, matt slowly put his window down.

"yes!" freyja rejoiced.

"DON'T STOP BELIEVIN'. HOLD ON TO THAT FEELING. STREETLIGHTS PEOPLE OHOOOOO WOAHHHHH!" freyja sang the words as loud as she could out the window. passers-by strolling along the main street turned to stare. freyja couldn't care less. as the last chorus came on, matt began to sing as well. not as loudly as freyja, but at least he was singing.

matt pulled into a carpark around the back of a brightly colored building just as the song finished. freyja put her window up, and matt took the key out of the ignition. silence. "where are we?" freyja asked, craning her neck to look around.

"let's get out and then you'll know," matt replied mysteriously. freyja opened the door and climbed out of the car, taking in the fresh air and the smell of something sweet she couldn't quite place. a gust of wind blew through the carpark, causing stray leaves to blow up and into the air. shivering, freyja pulled matts bomber jacket tighter around her body. 

"come on," matt said from just behind freyja. she hadn't even heard him get out of the car. matt started walking across the carpark to the front of the building. freyja followed a few steps behind. matt stopped and waited for her when he reached the main street. the front of the building was painted bright orange, and the door was a deep read. freyja caught a glimpse through the window of dim fairy lights, and shelves, although she couldn't see what was on them. a family sat around a large table, and across the room, a happy-looking couple sat eating what looked to be ice cream. the sign above the door read 'alessandros'.

matt pushed open the door, holding it out of the way so freyja could walk inside. freyja stood in the doorway taking everything in. the room was lit by warm fairy lights strung from the ceiling, and on the far side was a wide freezer holding what looked to be ice cream. a man about freyja's age and a woman in her thirties stood behind the counter, serving a young girl. 

on the other side of the room were the tables. each table was painted a different color, and lining the walls were bookshelves filled with books. a sign above the shelves read 'alessandros library'.  just as freyja was about to walk over to the books, matt gently grabbed her hand and led her to the freezer. freyja was about to question the strange appearance of the ice cream when she saw the server's aprons. they read 'frozen custard' across the chest. suddenly she understood: the food in the freezer was not ice cream, it was frozen custard!