Chapter 40: Love and Hate

"The thing to remember about crossing over," Dr. Curt Connors explained to his Biology class, "is that each individual chromosome exchanges some of its genetic information with another chromosome. Otherwise, you'd be inheriting every allele for the genes linked on the same chromosome from your parents. Crossing over allows for greater genetic diversity and the possibility that you'll inherit recessive genes from your parents."

The class eagerly nodded, their pens scratching as they noted what Dr. Connors was telling them. Dr. Connors was one of the most popular professors at Empire State University, his classes highly sought after by students because of Connors' skill at explaining complicated scientific principles to even the most scientifically untalented students.

"That's about it for now," Dr. Connors concluded as his students finished their note-taking. "We still have a few minutes-does anyone have any questions?"

Most of the students seemed satisfied with what Dr. Connors was telling them, although a few hands still came up. One of them belonged to a beautiful young coed with long blonde hair and bright blue eyes, a puzzled look on her pretty face as something suddenly seemed to register for her.

"Yes, Gwen?" Dr. Connors asked the young woman.

"Doesn't this crossing over stuff mean that no two gametes are identical?" Gwen asked. "I mean, if some alleles cross over but others don't, it seems like every sperm or egg is going to carry a different set of the parent's genes."

"You're exactly right, Gwen," Dr. Connors nodded, pleased with Gwen's question. "That's why, like I said, children can inherit recessive genes from their parents if they don't inherit a masking gene along with it."

"Nice observation," he finished with a smile.

Gwen only smiled back.

SPIDER-WOMAN #40

"LOVE AND HATE"

Returning home from school that afternoon, Gwen had to admit that it still felt weird living at her Aunt Nancy's townhouse with Nancy, Nancy's daughter Jill and Gwen's mother Helen Lieber-Stacy. Ever since she'd lost her apartment and had to move in with her family, Gwen hadn't felt entirely comfortable coming home, since she wasn't sure she was contributing enough to the family.

"Hi, Gwen!" Jill greeted Gwen, coming into the kitchen as Gwen was peeling some apples. "How was your day?"

"Pretty good," Gwen replied, handing one of the apples to Jill. "How was yours?"

"Tiring," Jill sighed. "I'm taking my SAT on Saturday. I've got to go out later tonight-some of my friends are having a study session. I swear, this is going to be the longest week of my life…"

"I know how you feel," Gwen frowned, remembering the grind of taking the SAT herself in high school. "I wouldn't worry too much, though-you're going to do great."

"I would if that was the only thing I had to study for," Jill reminded her. "Remember, I have midterms next week too!"

"I feel your pain, believe me," Gwen assured her with a smile. "That's when my finals take place! And my grades haven't exactly been the best this year…" she trailed off.

"That's because you spent too much time working to pay for your apartment," Jill pointed out. "You should have just moved back in with us when you lost your first apartment."

"Well…" Gwen frowned at that.

"Come on, Gwen," Jill rolled her eyes. "Don't tell me you still feel guilty about coming back with us!"

"Well, I…" Gwen replied, not sure what to say.

"It's like Auntie Helen said, you've got more important things to worry about," Jill reminded her. "Besides, you did plenty to help her already."