Chapter 96: Ides Of March

"Trust me, Mr. Tajiri is an excellent teacher," Gwen Stacy said to Liz Allan and Kitty Pryde as she led them into the dojo. "He was able to put up for me for so many years after all."

The girls laughed at that before looking around the office and the open door leading to the main training area. An intermediate student was leading several white belts in basic exercises, and three other intermediate students were practicing on heavy bags. Unfortunately, neither Ishiro Tajiri or any of his reception staff were anywhere to be seen, and the girls stood alone in the office.

"That's funny," Gwen said. "Usually Mrs. Takahashi is-"

"-taking care of her ill mother right now," an older man said, coming into the front office through a side door behind the reception desk. The man's hair was a distinguished silver in color, although there were a few areas that still showed the deep black his hair used to be. He was barely taller than any of the girls, but he carried himself with the grace and skill of someone half his nearly sixty years.

"Excuse there not being anyone here," the man said, "but I've had to handle a lot of the administration duties myself and...Gwen?" he asked in surprise.

"Hello, sensei," Gwen said, bowing respectfully. "It's really good to see you again."

"Likewise," the older man said, returning Gwen's bow. "And who are these? Friends of yours?" he asked, indicating Liz and Kitty.

"Yes," Gwen said with a nod. "Liz, Kitty, this is Ishiro Tajiri, the owner and main teacher. He taught me everything I know about the martial arts."

"Which isn't nearly as much as Gwen thinks," Mr. Tajiri said with a smile. "I'm glad to see you've kept up with your training," he continued, a proud expression crossing his face.

Gwen just laughed, scratching the back of her head in embarrassment. It had been almost two and a half years since she had been in a dojo, but Mr. Tajiri wasn't wrong. Fighting crime as the spectacular Spider-Woman gave Gwen ample opportunity to keep in practice. Indeed, she credited Mr. Tajiri's training for helping her get the hang of her spider-powers and crimefighting in general so quickly.

"You could tell just by looking at her?" Liz asked in surprise.

"A true warrior learns to recognize the skills of everyone around him," Mr. Tajiri said. "The poise and preparation don't go away if you maintain them. So, what brings you here?"

Liz and Kitty looked at one another uncertainly, and then back at Gwen.

"My friends would like to sign up for classes," Gwen said. "With New York being what it is..."

"Indeed," Mr. Tajiri said with a frown. "I take it you'll both want to start in the beginner's class?" he asked Liz and Kitty.

"Tuesday night would likely be best, then," Mr. Tajiri said, sitting down at the desk and typing at a computer. "You'll also need to let us know the sizes for your training uniforms. How about you, Gwen?" he asked after a few moments. "Would you like to resume training?"

Gwen thought Mr. Tajiri's offer over for a few moments. She was pressed for time these days. She was doing better at her university studies, she was getting acting and modeling work again, her social media following was growing by leaps and bounds, and she kept up an active social life. As it was, Gwen had already cut back the amount of time she was spending as Spider-Woman in order to focus on her own needs and life. While she was keeping on top of everything and wasn't suffering from stress the way she used to, she wasn't sure it would stay that way if she took on any more commitments.

"I would, sensei, if I weren't already so busy," Gwen said, bowing her head in embarrassment.

"Oh, that's alright," Mr. Tajiri said with a laugh. "Don't feel so guilty-I'm just glad to see you haven't forgotten what I taught you before."