Chapter 10: Snake Eyes

"Hi, Gwen!" Liz Allan greeted Gwen Stacy on the Empire State University campus that morning. Running to catch up with her friend, Liz was surprised to see how pale Gwen was, and how she couldn't seem to look at her. She tried to walk away, before Liz caught her.

"…What's the matter?" Liz asked Gwen, a concerned look on her face.

"I…" Gwen began, before she fell silent.

"Are you alright?" Liz persisted.

"I blew it," Gwen said, shame creeping into her voice. "I totally blew it."

SPIDER-WOMAN #10

"SNAKE EYES"

"What do you mean?" Liz asked, leading her into the Student's Union Building, where they sat down on one of the couches set aside for students.

It took Gwen several seconds to compose herself, before she finally spoke again, her voice trembling.

"I tried talking to Harry, and then…I don't know, everything just went out of control! We started screaming at each other, then I just about lost it. I was about to…to…" she couldn't finish.

Liz frowned, as Gwen fell silent.

"So what happened after that?" she asked gently.

"I just ran," Gwen said ashamedly. "I…I'm so sorry, Liz," she continued. "I tried to help, I did really, but-"

"I know you tried," Liz reassured her. "I'll try talking to him again myself-maybe he'll open up some more to me if I try again. What about you, though?"

Shame turned to confusion on Gwen's face.

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"You seem like you're really under a lot of stress," Liz replied. "Are classes getting to be too much, or is it-"

"No, it's my parents," Gwen muttered. "They're going through a really ugly divorce right now. It's driving me crazy."

"You're upset that they're splitting up?" Liz asked.

"God, no!" Gwen shot back, rather more harshly than she intended. "It's just that we really need my dad's money, and if my mom divorces him, chances are he'll cut us off altogether. I can't stand it, but what am I supposed to do?"

"Your mom's staying with your Aunt Nancy, right?" Liz asked.

"Yeah," Gwen sighed, "and chances are I'll have to move in with them or something if Dad cuts us off, since I won't be able to afford it otherwise. I've been trying to find some more acting and modeling jobs, but I've just had a terrible time finding work lately! The only thing I've been able to find recently is that student film of Randy Robertson's, and that was only because Kitty referred him to me," she concluded in frustration.

"So you're worried about the money?" Liz noted.

"Yeah…" Gwen replied, leaning back against the couch. "The sooner this goes through, the better it'll be more Mom, but then you know Dad is going to screw us over, and we'll have to find some other source of money-it's not fair to Aunt Nancy to support all four of us if I have to move back there. And Mom can't get a job right now," she continued, answering Liz's unspoken question, "since she still needs some time to get her head together."

"Tell you what, Gwen," Liz said gently, putting a hand on her shoulder. "I know you're worried about me and Harry, but you have to take care of yourself first. I'll look after Harry-but please, before anything else, look after your mother. She's what's most important right now."

Gwen smiled sadly.

"Thanks, Liz."

"No problem," Liz reassured her. "And don't worry about finding a job-this is New York! With your looks and your talent, you'll have them beating down your door! Just give it time."