Chapter 93: Legacy Project

Gwen Stacy shook her head in disgust as she walked down the hospital hallway. She knew that many of the patients here had suffered injuries at the hands of the costumed supervillains that infested New York City like a plague of rats. The patients were frequently collateral damage, people left clinging to life solely for the 'crime' of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Gwen had learned that the hard way in fighting crime as the spectacular Spider-Woman. While Gwen had been able to bring many costumed villains to justice, and save dozens of innocent lives at the same time, there had been many other people she couldn't save. She was going to visit one of them now, her boyfriend Randy Robertson, who'd been injured when two revenge-crazed supervillains had attacked the dinner party Gwen and Randy had attended.

As Spider-Woman, Gwen had been able to prevent the villains from hurting Liz Allan and Harry Osborn, their main targets. Unfortunately, she hadn't been able to prevent Randy from being injured in the crossfire. He had been hospitalized since the day before, and Gwen hoped he was alright.

Gwen was glad she'd been able to protect the rest of her friends, she really was.

It was cold comfort when she approached Randy's hospital room, and felt a stab of guilt over Randy's injuries.

ULTIMATE SPIDER-WOMAN #93

LEGACY PROJECT

Gwen stopped just outside Randy's hospital room as she saw the older couple approaching from the opposite direction. She recognized them as Randy's parents Isaiah and Louise Robertson, and she tensed up. Randy's parents had made very clear just how much they disliked Gwen, and she braced herself for their usual cold treatment.

Isaiah's and Louise's eyes widened as they saw Gwen, and they stopped just outside Randy's room as well. They stared at Gwen for several seconds, and she returned their stare, before Gwen spoke.

"Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Robertson," Gwen said, bowing briefly. "It's good to see you again. Would you like some private time with Randy? I can come back later," she said.

Isaiah and Louise glanced at each other, before Louise spoke.

"Isaiah, honey, you go in first," Louise said to her husband. "I need to speak to Gwen first," she said, turning her gaze back to Gwen.

Nodding, Isaiah opened the door to Randy's room and walked in, closing it behind him. Gwen and Louise heard Randy greeting Isaiah, and looked at the door to Randy's room before looking back at each other.

Gwen bit her lip nervously, wondering what Louise was going to berate her for this time.

"It's good to see you here, Gwen," Louise said, as a grateful smile crossed her face.

Gwen's trepidation turned to surprise as she heard that.

"It's good to see you too, Mrs. Robertson," Gwen said as she smiled back, both pleased and confused by Louise's surprisingly warm reception.

"You and your other friends weren't hurt at this party, I hope?" Louise asked.

"A couple of us were, but we'll be alright," Gwen said, more surprised than ever at Louise's treatment.

"Good," Louise said, still wearing her pleasant smile.

"...Is that what you wanted to ask me, Mrs. Robertson?" Gwen asked tentatively, wondering why Louise wanted to talk to her before Randy, if that was all they were going to discuss.

Gwen and Louise both felt tension in the air again.

"...I wanted to apologize," Louise said, a trace of hesitation in her voice. "Isaiah and I have treated you really badly, and you deserved better."