Chapter 52: Cold Shoulder

Randy Robertson checked his watch as he waited on the quad of Empire State University. He was meeting his girlfriend for their first date in a couple of weeks, and he wondered where she could be. All around him, the snow on the quad was melting as the sun shone brightly. It was the last week of March, and Spring Break was next week, something that Randy and almost every other Empire State student was eagerly looking forward to.

Walking down the path, Randy looked for his girlfriend, eager to see her again. He wondered if she was running late, something that had been a constant problem for her even though she often couldn't do much about it. Still, he hoped she wouldn't be too much longer, since there were a lot of things he needed to say to her.

Randy was so preoccupied in looking for his girlfriend that he didn't hear the footsteps coming up behind him. He recoiled in surprise as his vision suddenly went dark, his eyes covered by the hands of the person who'd snuck up on him.

"Guess who, sunshine!" the bright, musical voice echoed in Randy's ears, giggling as its owner pulled her hands away from Randy's eyes. Turning around, Randy was pleasantly surprised to see his girlfriend, a beautiful young woman with long, blonde hair, sparkling blue eyes and a perfect white smile, clad in an agreeable yellow jacket that contrasted nicely with her hair, a pair of form-fitting jeans that emphasized her long, shapely legs and a pair of stylish Ugg boots on her feet.

Gwen Stacy always looked gorgeous, of course, but the warm smile on her face always cheered Randy up. He was especially glad to see how happy she was, particularly with all the stress and crap she'd had to deal with lately.

"You look exceptionally handsome today," Gwen smiled at Randy.

"And you look exceptionally hot today," Randy grinned back.

"What, I don't always look hot?" Gwen pouted in mock hurt.

"Hey, you were the one who was implying that I don't always look handsome," Randy frowned reproachingly at Gwen, before they laughed and hugged.

SPIDER-WOMAN #52

"COLD SHOULDER"

Making their way to the Coffee Bean, Gwen and Randy got some coffee and lunch before sitting down. They ate in silence for a few minutes, enjoying each other's company, before Gwen finally spoke.

"How've things been?" she asked him.

"They've been good," Randy smiled back, before sipping his coffee. "School's been a grind, but what else is new?"

"Glad to hear it," Gwen grinned.

"How about you?" Randy asked her. "I saw you on the news fighting that Firebrand freak," he continued, referring to Gwen's recent battle in her superhero identity as the spectacular Spider-Woman, preventing her old enemy Firebrand from murdering his parents. "I also heard about that Vincent Gonzalez sicko, too-sounds like he's going to get what he deserved."

Gwen briefly frowned at that, and Randy cursed himself inwardly, wondering if he'd struck a nerve.

"I'm sorry, I-" he started.

"Don't worry about it," Gwen reassured him. "I just hate to think of what he did to all those people, just because they stuck up for me..."

"And because of you, now he's going to get what he deserves," Randy said quickly, kicking himself inwardly. "How have things been with your family?"

"They've been great," Gwen smiled, her bright mood quickly returning. "Mom's doing great these days-did you see her on TV?"

"I checked out the link you e-mailed me," Randy replied. "Frankly, I think your mom missed her calling. She should've been an anchor, or something like that. I know she'd have fit in really well at HABQ-FM," he continued, referring to the radio station where he worked.