Chapter 67: Go Go Retro

"Um is not an answer!" Judge Judy shouted at the hapless plaintiff, who was increasingly flustered and unable to answer her questions.

"Your Honor, this is an expression of who I am!" the plaintiff finally managed to protest.

"Who are you, then?" Judy shot back. "Somebody who thinks it's appropriate to go around looking like a slob?"

"Your Honor, I don't conform to these dress codes, and-"

"RIDICULOUS! Why are you wasting my time with this garbage?" Judy demanded. "Because you think it's your God-given right to expect a job even when you show up looking like a hobo? Since when is 'scruffy' the new black?"

"Your Honor…" the plaintiff began.

"Verdict in favour of the defendant!" Judy interrupted, slamming her gavel down. "Case dismissed! That's all."

Nancy Stacy and her daughter Jill looked at one another, taking their eyes off the TV for a second.

"Why do so many people go around in public looking like they just got out of bed?" Nancy asked Jill.

"I wish I knew," Jill shrugged. "Too many people at Midtown dress like that, too. I don't know why they think anyone thinks it looks stylish."

"They probably just don't care," Nancy smirked. "That's what makes it all the more annoying-I mean, can you believe that guy suing for wrongful dismissal just because he wouldn't live up to his boss's dress code?"

"…Why didn't he just get another job somewhere else?" Jill blinked.

"Too many people these days are just entitled," Nancy shrugged. "It's the same all over the place-my work has too many casual weeks. Sometimes I just can't stand it…"

"Groceries!" Helen Lieber-Stacy called out as she opened the door to Nancy's townhouse. Helen and her daughter Gwen Stacy walked in, carrying the groceries they'd brought home, and it wasn't long before the Stacy women were putting everything away.

"Somebody called for you while you guys were out," Jill told Gwen as they worked. "He said something about wanting you for a modeling job…"

"Really?" Gwen asked brightly. "Where at?"

"It was at some fashion company," Jill said, as she reached over to the notepad by the phone and looked at the message she'd written down. "It was from...here we go, 'Vaughn-Pope Cosmetics'," Jill read. "Haven't you already done some work with them?"

"Yeah, I did," Gwen grinned. "They pay pretty well too."

"Did you get some of the supplies I asked for?" Jill asked Gwen. Jill was starting at Empire State University this fall, and she was eagerly looking forward to joining Gwen at college.

"Not all of them," Gwen smiled again. "You're forgetting one of the most important pre-school year rituals."

"I am?" Jill asked, before a wry smile began to cross her face as she realized what Gwen was getting at.

"School clothes shopping trip!" Gwen and Jill said at the same time, before they fell into giggling.

SPIDER-WOMAN #67

"GO GO RETRO"

As head of his own fashion conglomerate, Roderick Kingsley lived the good life. He had a sumptuous Long Island estate with its own private hot tub, a bottle of fine Chianti wine and the beautiful Felicia Hardy massaging his shoulders. Despite all this, he was in a very bad mood, the ugly expression on his face clear for all to see.

"You've been in a bad mood all day, daddy," Felicia cooed at Roderick, using the pet name he loved so much. "What's wrong?"

Roderick just hissed in annoyance.