Chapter 19

"Steve, what are we gonna do?" Rachel asks as they wait for the lift. "I don't know, we'll figure it out" Steve answers as he stares out of the window. Rachel takes a shaky breath as she stands in front of the lift doors, this is a lot to deal with at once. She hasn't long witnessed Fury die and now she has all this inner conflict about who to trust. She doesn't know what to do. Steve looks over his shoulder at her when he hears her take a shaky breath and notices her wringing her hands together. "Hey Rach" he says as he walks towards her and takes her hands. "We're gonna be fine. We'll figure this out" he assures her with a smile and she nods in response, forcing a smile before the lift doors finally open.

While they stand in the lift, more agents join them causing everyone to stand closer together. "Evidence response found some fibres on the roof they want us to see. You want me to get the tac team ready?" Rumlow informs Steve. "No let's wait and see what it is first" Steve answers. Rachel realises some agents keeping their hands on their weapons and glances at Steve. "I'm sorry about what happened with Fury. It's messed up what happened to him" Rumlow gives his condolences to the pair standing behind him. "Thank you" Steve replies. Steve and Rachel look around and notice what's happening as more Strike agents enter the lift. Everyone is now standing incredibly close together with all agents, besides Steve and Rachel hovering their hands over their weapons. He looks at Rachel who gives him a nod of assurance.

"Before we get started, does anyone wanna get out?" Steve asks knowingly. The agent standing in front of them pulls out his shock stick and tries to stab Steve with it. He quickly dodges it but is grabbed by other agents, who remove his shield from his back. Meanwhile, Rachel kicks the agent who tried attacking Steve but a much larger agent grabs her from around the waist, lifting her off the ground. When the agent turns she sees Steve struggling to resist the device on his wrist, seeming to work like a magnet. She quickly uses her powers to help him pull his wrist down and away from the wall. This allows Steve to quickly deal with the men holding him against the wall.

Rachel takes this opportunity to deal with the man holding her off the floor. She elbows him in the face as hard as she possibly can, causing him to drop her to the floor. She swings her leg up and kicks him in the face and he hits the wall. She quickly attacks the men trying to attack Steve while he has his other wrist stuck against the wall. He manages to get his wrist off the wall and Rachel turns around to be met with the shock stick. An agent hits her in the abdomen with it and she screams in pain and collapses to the floor. The agent attempts to hit her with it again but she raises her hands and catches it between her hands, using her powers while her body shakes from the after shocks. Steve attacks the agent, allowing Rachel to relax and recover while he finishes with Rumlow.

Steve pulls Rachel to her feet while she tenses and untenses due to the aftershocks. "I'm ok" she assures him as he checks her over. He opens the lift door only to be met with guns pointed at them. "Drop the shield and put your hands in the air" they order but Steve quickly breaks a wire in the lift, causing it to suddenly drop a few floors before the emergency brakes kick in. He pulls the doors open to see more agents running towards the lift. Rachel watches as Steve closes the doors and looks out the window before stepping back. "Do you trust me?" he asks her. She glances out the window before nodding her head. "I trust you" she answers confidently. He wraps an arm around her and she wraps hers around him before they run at the glass and Steve raises his shield to break it.

They fall towards the ground and they hold onto each other tight while Steve keeps his shield underneath them to break their fall and Rachel tries to create a barrier of her energy to break their fall more. They hit the ground with a thud and groan in pain as Steve gets up as quickly as possible. He helps Rachel to her feet and takes her hand before running through Shield HQ. "We need to get that drive" Rachel tells him as they reach the garage. "I know, come on" Steve tells her as he starts his bike engine. She gets on and he speeds out of the closing doors. Shield starts locking down the bridge, using every precaution possible, including a jet. "Hang on" Steve tells Rachel when the jet starts firing at them and he avoids the bullets. She clings onto him tighter to avoid falling off. "Rachel, jump" he tells her and she does as she's told, she stands on the back seat and backflips off the bike.

Steve throws his shield at the jet, wedging it in the propeller before using his front brakes to boost himself onto the jet. Rachel runs underneath the jet as quickly as she can while Steve throws his shield at the back of the jet. The jet catches on fire as Steve destroys its flight systems. Steve lands with his shield and Rachel runs towards him. "Come on, we need to change out of our uniforms and get that drive from the hospital" Steve says and they start running towards their apartments to change.