Chapter 5: Return of the Swan

1997 went by rather quickly for Wonwoo and soon the year 1998 approached. He has been really busy with both his study and his work. His surgical degree consumed his time more than he could even imagine and he rarely goes home. He sleeps over at the staff accommodation as if it's his second house. From time to time, he would visit his family in Hadong. His father has started drinking less after living there and he seemed to have taken the role of family leader pretty well under his grandmother's close supervision. His uncle and aunt also began to stop calling their older brother Sseulegi since he has taken more responsibility for looking after the tea farm that they invested in. The coffee they planted a while ago also started to grow.

         The year 1998 then turned into 1999. Wonwoo has never visited Mina once because he has never been invited and his work schedule never allows him to take time off for so long. He could only give his presents to her parents when they fly to visit her on her birthday or Christmas. She would then send her gifts for his birthday and Christmas presents back with them when they return.

         It was hard choosing gifts for Mina when Wonwoo knows her family would get her anything she wants, so he could only buy her different scarves or socks just to be safe. Mina, on the other hand, also experienced the same problem since she knows Wonwoo isn't a materialistic guy, so she would buy the best quality pens and journals for him. It slowly becomes an inner joke between them and they end up enjoying each other gifts a lot even though they're the same thing in different colours each time.

          Mina's return marks the beginning of Summer and Wonwoo has unconsciously been waiting to see her again. He actually thought of her more than he thinks he should - he caught himself thinking about her during work multiple times. He also ended up being the only family member to go and pick her up at the airport since Madam M thought it would be a good idea to show the press that they are still happily married.

         "When will she comes out?"

         One of the news reporters asked after they have been waiting for half an hour after Mina's plane landed. Wonwoo could only roll his eyes at them since he knows Madam M leaked the information on her return date and there's no getting away from them.

         Finally, he heard the camera shutter unexpectedly and out came Mina from the gate. Her skin has become fairer and her features sharper. She looks ever more stunning than before.

         Mina thought she saw an actor when her eyes finally landed on Wonwoo. He has gotten more handsome than she remembered and seeing him again made her heart flutter. She approached him with a lovely smile along with a quick nod and Wonwoo knows exactly what she meant. He has signed the same document for the third time.

         Both wrapped their arms around each other and the press went crazy for the first hug they have in two years.

       "Long flight?"