33

Algiers, Elijah's apartment

Elena poured more coffee into her cup, then into Elijah's. The dark-haired man joined her on his couch, bringing a plate of cookies with him.

"So, tell me. What is it that upset you?" she asked, taking his hand.

Elijah gave her hand a squeeze. "It's not just the work issue that's troubling me right now. But why don't we start with it." He inhaled deeply, "Someone from my company betrayed me. He was the reason why Lucien had the upper hand in most of the negotiations over the contract with Kenner. Admittedly, it was me who got the contract in the end. And he did have a good reason for what he did. But the betrayal remains."

"Oh. That's awful. I'm sorry to hear that."

"Thank you." Elijah gave her a tight-lipped smile as a sign of gratitude for her empathy. "He asked for a good reference. I'm not sure if I should give it to him or not."

Elena pursed her lips and considered is situation for a minute. "If you're not sure, why don't you find a way inbetween? You don't have to make this reference perfect, but it doesn't have to be terrible either. Perhaps, it could just be... decent."

"Huh. Good idea. Thanks." Elijah cracked a relieved smile at her.

She grinned cutely, making him melt with adoration. "No problem."

The dark-haired man lifted her hand up and placed a kiss on the back of it, making her blush.

"There's something else too. But this matter is purely private." he said. "Let's start with some good news. I-" he let go of her hand so he could reach with his own hand out to the small table before the couch. He took the envelope that was laying on it and gave it to Elena. "- have found a solution for our Katherina problem."

The brunette gasped in disbelief and hope. She was a little afraid of disappointment in this matter, because her last attempt to make Katherine bring Nadia over hadn't worked. Her twin had agreed whilst her date, Tristan, had been present, but when they next talked about it, Katherine had laughed at her and sworn that her daughter was definitely not coming to the states on Thanksgiving. So, Elena was worried this might become another failed attempt, but couldn't help feeling hopeful.

Her fingers hurried to open the envelope. It contained two pieces of paper. Upon a closer look at them, Elena identified them as airplane tickets. The destination was Sofia.

She looked up at her boyfriend with widened eyes. "We're going to Bulgaria?"

"Yes." Elijah gave her a tender smile, "We are. You see, about a week ago, Niklaus told me about a fight with Hayley. It appears, my niece's mother wants to move to a small town and marry the mayor. She wishes to take Hope with her. Which means, there is probably a custody battle coming up. When my brother told me about this, he yelled at one point, saying that Hayley wasn't Hope's only parent. Of course, the situation with him and his daughter is another problem, but it's a problem for another day. Nothing is set in stone yet with them. However, Niklaus' words gave me the idea that appears to be the solution for your situation with your sister. You're upset because she won't let you see Nadia? Well, as I finally realized, Katerina isn't Nadia's only parent. I contacted Nikolai Petrov this morning. He would be more than happy to welcome you and me for a couple of weeks in his home."

"Elijah... " Elena looked at him with teary eyes, touched by his considerate gesture, "Thank you so much! This is wonderful!" She leaned over and wrapped both of her arms around his broad shoulders, hugging him tightly to her.

The dark-haired man gently rubbed her back. "It's my pleasure, darling." He pulled back and looked at her again, in a more serious way now. "There is actually something else too."