Chapter 23: Ploy

"What is your name?" In a calm tone, (y/n) asked the woman, who sat on the bed silently.

Without answering, the woman sat there like a statue, probably thinking about what motive (y/n) had in her mind. Sensing her uneasiness, (y/n) tried to make the woman comfortable around her.

"Why not you take off your mask first?"

Nodding, she did what (y/n) asked & (y/n)'s breath hitched once again to see her face. Staring downward, she waited for (y/n)'s next order while (y/n) stared at her without blinking. Her expressions & behaviour made (y/n) understand how the traffickers trained them to behave before their master or mistress. But she has no intention of playing the role of this woman's mistress, and if (y/n) failed to make her understand that, she would lose one of the crucial figures she needed to solve the mystery.

Before (y/n) could start the conversation, she thought to check the whole room thoroughly in case there were any hidden cameras to record them. 

As she was searching for the cameras, (y/n) felt her companion's eyes following her & probably wondered why (y/n) did not start till now. The luxurious suite had two parts - one bedroom & a living room which were quite big and searching for every piece of furniture & decorative item took some time & energy.

"What are you searching for?" (y/n) stopped dead on her track to hear the question.

The voice was timid but sweet, mixed with a sense of curiosity. Slowly turning towards the woman, (y/n) answered, "Hidden cameras."

Though she did not find cameras in the rooms & most likely would not find anything in the bathroom, it's better to be safe than sorry. After making sure, there were no devices to record their conversation or activity, (y/n) turned her attention back to the woman. Though her escort did not utter any more queries, her wondering & inquisitive eyes told (y/n) everything in her mind.

Sitting beside the woman, (y/n) asked again, " Why not we start tonight's event by knowing each other a bit? You didn't tell me your name yet."

"What is the point of knowing my name, mistress? Order me how I can please you tonight." She spoke without looking at (y/n) once.

In a calm but assuring tone, (y/n) repeated her question, "I'll be pleased if you answer my first question. What is your name?"

"Ruby."

(y/n) laughed in her mind to hear the name. Outside she kept a composed demeanour, but emotions were in turmoil in her mind.

For a moment, (y/n) stared at Ruby, her mind matching Ruby's features with the pictures she saw a few days ago. There was no doubt the person sitting beside her & the person in those pictures brought by Bertholdt & Mikasa were the same.

"That's a lovely name, I must say. Let's do something different tonight, shall we? Ruby, do you know in which city you are in now?"
Seeing Ruby's silence for this answer, (y/n) smiled a bit.
" You are now in Trost city. Does the name of this city ring a bell?"

"I never heard of this city."

The slight tremble in Ruby's voice told (y/n) that her question hit the right spot, but she wanted to hear the truth from Ruby herself.

"I'm surprised that you never heard of this famous city even once! Trost has some famous global enterprise headquarters, such as Ral Enterprise, Skyline Technologies & Ackerman Corporation." (y/n) paused, her eyes glanced at Ruby. "And the architectural landmarks & the scenic beauty of the hills surrounding Trost are incredible, don't they?"