Chapter 24: Opportunity

"How does this even happen?"

At this question, the whole room fell silent; no one dared to utter a single word. The enquirer turned her eyes to Krista, who stood beside her. The governess lowered her gaze as the doctor gave her a stern look.

"How could all of you fail to make him take medicines? At this rate, we will have no choice but to admit him to the hospital."

"Ziya, everyone tried their best to do what you said, but Eren did not listen to us. Can't you do something else?" Perturbed by Ziya's suggestion, Kenny tried to calm down the family physician.

The doctor eyed everyone present in the room with a steely glare. "What this child is doing now is harming himself, and all of you know the cause & trying to hide it for some unknown reason. But I cannot treat my patients without knowing their complete history anymore. What is that bothering Eren so much that he stopped eating?" She looked around the room again, "By the way, where is (y/n)? Yesterday when I came, she was not at home & she is not even present today either. Where is she?"

"She is currently out of town now because of her job-related issues." As Levi answered, he could feel Kenny eyeing him suspiciously. Ignoring the look Kenny gave him, Levi continued, "Tell us what we can do in this situation."

"Because of his high fever, he is now suffering from delirium & in this state, the person he wants near him is (y/n). Didn't you see how he only asks for his mother, Levi?"

More than anyone present in that room, Levi was the one who knew how much Eren loved (y/n). The attachment Eren shared with his mother was far greater than the closeness with his father. Others could say that the woman was unfaithful, greedy and whatnot, but no one could deny her love for Eren. To Eren, his mother was his whole world, and when (y/n) had to leave him, he could not stand it. The separation anxiety became so intense for Eren that he started to fall ill, and his stubbornness made his situation direr.

Seeing his wife & Reiner together in her apartment & their clicked photographs in Rose City made Levi so overwhelmed that, for some time, he forgot how his actions would impact his son's life. The day Eren first collapsed, Levi, realized what he had done to his son. Though he had enough faith in Krista, somewhere in his mind, Levi was also aware that without (y/n) this time, no one would be able to handle Eren perfectly.
Everyone knew that only (y/n)'s presence could soothe Eren's restless mind, but no one voiced that thought. Seeing the situation worsening, Levi could not remain silent anymore & decided to bring (y/n) to Eren. Not being able to call (y/n) by himself, Levi asked Isabel to inform (y/n) about Eren's condition and come home as soon as possible.

'Last night, Isabel called her before midnight & she is not even here till now. If we had to take Eren to the hospital & the media got this information somehow, everything would be much more difficult for me to handle. Where the hell are you, (y/n)?'

Frustrated, Levi ran a hand through his hair as he glanced from Eren to the door with a look of impatience. Then he heard someone's hurried footsteps on the wooden stairs, and a few seconds later, (y/n) entered the room. As (y/n) stood in the doorway awkwardly, Levi & Isabel sighed in relief while Kenny gave her a displeased look & others were perplexed to see her outfit.

Not noticing the looks others gave her, (y/n) only stared at Eren, who seemed pale & thin. A pang of sorrow engulfed her mind to see her beloved son in this state, but an uneasy feeling replaced the sadness as she noticed everyone's expressions. Her deep neck thigh-split evening gown was enough to catch everyone's attention & (y/n) felt more self-conscious. As (y/n) looked around the room, her gaze locked with Levi, who looked away from her in irritation to remember where she was last night & with whom.