¤ Chapter 17: Spy ¤

''What are you doing here?"

(y/n) froze for a second to hear the familiar voice behind her. Nevertheless, being caught, she quickly regained her calm composer and turned to face the person.

"What a surprise to see you here this moment, Clarie."

Clarie, Ivan's secretary, smiled as she responded, "Forgive me if I startled you, Madam (y/n). May I ask what are you doing in this room at this hour?"

From Clarie's way of questioning, (y/n) assumed that she was present in the house the whole time. Then why Ivan did not bother telling her about his secretary's presence in the mansion once. Did he suspect something about her?
Questions swirled into her mind, and she became a bit tense while her eyes trying took in every detail of Clarie's cold expression. Though her affair with Ivan was not unknown to his secretary, (y/n) did not like how Clarie interrogated her.

"I was going to the kitchen to fetch some snacks for us, but something caught my eye here," A sweet smile plastering on her lips (y/n) answered.

The other woman's brow furrowed as if she irked by (y/n)'s answer. "Sir might be bored without you. Instead, let me bring what you want to eat to your room."

(y/n)'s heart skipped a beat at her suggestion. If Clarie found Ivan unconscious in the bedroom, it would become big trouble for her to handle and to stop that (y/n) had to think about a plan as soon as possible.

"Do as you wish, Clarie."
--

"I always suspect that woman is up to something big. Sadly, I couldn't pinpoint what she actually wants from him," Clarie said to someone on the other side of the phone as she continued to plate some snacks on a tray.

Being busy on the phone call, Clarie did not notice a pair of (e/c) eyes observing her every move and words.

"Mind you, I'm not someone who would easily be fooled by that lowly woman. Though I had a piece of information that she has a close connection with Kenny Ackerman, I need some more time to verify it."

'So you're spying on me all this time, but now how can I let you go easily after knowing your little secret.'

(y/n) smiled as she stood behind the half-closed door of the kitchen, her eyes twinkled with a devilish thought.
After (y/n) returned to the master bedroom, she found Ivan deep in sleep. She opened her handbag and went through it eagerly to found something carefully hidden there. That was a small dark glass bottle that contained a fast-acting sleeping sedative which she never used before. On a handkerchief, she poured some colourless liquid from the bottle.
--

Taking a deep breath, (y/n) opened the door silently and dashed towards Clarie, and before she could turn to see who came in, (y/n) grabbed her from behind & throw themselves on the floor. The snack filled plate in her hand fell on the ground and shattered into a million tiny shards & the food scattered in all directions.

At this sudden attack, Clarie writhed and wriggled to get free from (y/n)'s grip. But she used all her might to held Clarie down & pressed the handkerchief on her mouth. Shards of the ceramic plate pierced into her arms & legs, yet (y/n) refused to let go of Clarie. Struggling for a few more minutes, Clarie fell unconscious.

After ensuring Clarie was out cold, (y/n) tied her hands and feet with a rope and gagged by a hand towel & dragged the unconscious woman to the living room. Then (y/n) went back to the kitchen to clean the mess & put some antibiotic cream on the cuts of her arms & legs.

'Now, I can complete my mission without a worry.' She said in her mind as she messaged Farlan, Kenny's assistant saying, she needed him to sent a car to Ivan's mansion, and it would be better if he came.
--

The last time when (y/n) came to Ivan's home, she accidentally found a hidden passage in the study room. She went to the study room and picked a book from the uppermost rack of a bookshelf. As soon as she did that, the piece of furniture shook a bit, and a slight push opened it like a door to reveal a broad staircase. (y/n) ascended down the staircase, which leads her to a room & fortunate of her that the door not locked.

Entering into that room, (y/n) saw another study room but with more shelves filled with lots of files and two computers. After checking the contents of those files, it became clear what Ivan was doing all these years behind Kenny & Levi's back.
After she involved in this mission, (y/n) had to learn how to hack someones' database & that knowledge paid off as she successfully hacked into the locked computers.

Astound, she read the emails to Ackerman's rival companies, a large sum of illegal money transactions. Emails regarding stopping Ackerman from collecting fund for their new business setups & products and how to damage the relationship between Ackerman & Ral Enterprise, exchange of confidential information & two media houses involvement to throw mud at Levi issuing Eren. It also revealed that along with Ivan, some members of the board of directors conspired against Kenny to bring down Ackerman's Corporation.

After copying the necessary data into her pen-derive, (y/n) took pictures of the contents of the files. Before leaving the room, she took some files with her and then called Farlan, who said he was waiting outside the mansion.

Looking at the documents in her hand, (y/n) smirked devilishly, "Our mission accomplished, my friend. I'll call you back in ten minutes, then you can come to the mansion. Clarie can be ace up our sleeve, so we cannot leave her out of our reach, can we, Farlan?"

"Of course, we cannot do that. Mr Ackerman would love to have a small chat with her. Call me when you are ready, then I will come to escort our guest to Mr Ackerman's residence."
--

When (y/n) came to the master bedroom, Ivan was still in dreamland. Quickly, she changed her clothes and started to bagged her things & those files. As she was doing that, (y/n) heard a slight groan. Became frozen in her place, she slowly turned her head towards the bed & to her dismay, she saw Ivan squinted at her.

Glancing at her bag, she sighed in relief that Ivan could not see that due to the couch blocking his sight. Though (y/n) could tell the effects of the sleeping medicine did not ward off completely, one impetuous action could ruin the entire plan. She grabbed the handkerchief lying beside her bag and stood straight to face him.

Hiding the handkerchief behind her, (y/n) walked towards Ivan & asked in a honeyed tone, "What's the matter, dear? I thought you were sleeping."

"Are you...are you going...somewhere?"

(y/n)stood beside the bed, ready to take action, "I got an urgent call from home, so I have to leave now. Don't worry about me & go back to sleep now."

Ivan tried to sit upon the bed but failed to do so. Closing his eyes, he mumbled, "All of you...are same...you're as well...leaving me...like..like Natalie..."

"What did you just say?" (y/n) muttered, bewildered by the sudden mention of Natalie's name.

Natalie always remained a mystery to (y/n) & neither Levi nor anyone else ever talked about her. Once she heard Ivan mentioned Natalie mistakenly, but she did not get much info from him. Nonetheless, she could tell Levi, Natalie & Ivan somehow had a connection with each other in the past & it was not a sweet one to cherish.

Overwhelmed by the curiosity, she sat beside him & asked eagerly, "How do you know Natalie, Ivan?"

"But..she can't..do it anymore...anymore..."

Cold fear clutched at her throat, she gripped the collar of his shirt & gave him a little jerk, "What do you mean by 'not anymore'? Tell me, what your relationship with her & Levi?"

Being lost in drowsiness, Ivan only whispered, "Cause...she is...is..dead..."