Chapter 17

I'm so nervous. I don't think I can tell him.

Kenji is walking beside me and we're silent. It's really awkward. We're on our way to Sakura's Smoothies and we're going to talk there.

We arrive at Sakura's Smoothies and Kenji goes to order. I ask for an apple and banana smoothie and find a table for us. I pull out my phone and text Ren.

Me
Ren, my love, I can't do this.

Rennie
Why not

Me
iM SCARED REN

Rennie

Well dont be

Me
You're not helpful at all

Rennie
Oh well. Remember what I said?

Me
Not really no

Rennie
I doubt he'll judge u for it. If he does, hes a piece of shit who doesnt deserve u and I'll kick his ass.

Me
You didn't say all that

Rennie
I'm feeling confident so I added a few bits.

Me
Ohh I get it

"Who're you texting?" Kenji asks, sitting down.

"Ren. I've discovered they're not really reassuring at times." I say, taking a sip of my smoothie.

"Well," He starts. "What did you wanna talk about? You said you were hiding something from me, right?"

I nod, swallowing.

"First of all, I'd like to go by They/Them pronouns." I say. "I'm planning to just message everyone else on the groupchat later."

Kenji nods, smiling slightly at me.

"Second of all, I've been hiding something from you."

The smile disappears.

"What is it?" He asks.

"It's a very touchy subject for me. I didn't tell you because I was scared you'd hate me." I say.

"How could I hate you?" He asks, brows furrowed. I shrug.

"Well, you wanna hear?" I ask. He nods.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Holy shit." He says, eyes wide. His eyes go wider and he shakes his head. "Sorry, sorry! That's probably not what you wanted to hear after telling me that." I laugh.

"You're cool. Your face was funny." I say.

He gasps and puts a hand to his chest, pretending to be offended.

"How dare you! I am so hurt!" I laugh harder.

When I calm down, I see Kenji looking at me with a big grin on his face.

"Wanna go for a walk?" He asks.

I raise my eyebrows at him.

"Remember what I just told you?" I ask.

"Uhhh..." He says. I laugh and shake my head.

"I've got an insane killer clown after me at the moment who may or may not be friends with my brother."