Ch. 6: The Sorting Ceremony

Everyone was getting off the train. When Hermione and I finally managed to get off, we saw a giant man, who had to have been somewhere over 8 feet tall, with a long, black beard, not nearly as long as Dumbledore's, though. He had long, black hair that just about reached the length of his beard and he was wearing a brown button-up shirt with a belt in the middle, covered by another grey button-up shirt. I noticed Harry and the giant man greet each other, hearing Harry call the man Hagrid. I assumed the giant man must have been the one to show Harry to Diagon Alley.

Hagrid led all the first years to some boats on a lake. Me, Hermione, and a few other people got in one boat, while Harry, Ron, and a couple others got in another. As we were crossing the lake, we could see Hogwarts. It was massive. It looked kind of like a castle. Hermione and I admired it while talking about the different things we had read about Hogwarts, excited to finally see it for ourselves. Finally, we had crossed the river and got to a path that led to the school.

When we got to the school, we followed Hagrid to a woman, who told us her name was Professor McGonagall. I instantly recognized the name as the Deputy Headmistress, knowing she was also the Transfiguration teacher at Hogwarts. She was standing outside of a doorway.

"Welcome to Hogwarts. Now, in a few moments, you will pass through these doors and join your classmates. But before you can take your seats, you must be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Now, while you're here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you house points. Any rule breaking, and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the House Cup."

Out of nowhere, a voice I recognized yelled out, "Trevor!" as Neville caught a toad standing mere inches from McGonagall. McGonagall looked at him, and he muttered a "sorry" as he walked back, with toad in hand, to join the rest of the first years, who were giggling quietly, stopping to stand beside me and Hermione.

"The sorting ceremony will begin momentarily," Professor McGonagall said before walking through the double doors, closing the door behind her.

As if on cue, a greasy, bleach blonde-haired boy walked to stand in front of Harry, two boys following on either side of him, both looking pretty big and not very smart. In my opinion, they looked like the boy's personal bodyguards.

"It's true then, what they're saying on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts," he said as many students started whispering in surprise. "This is Crabbe and Goyle."

He gestured to the two boys.

"And I'm Malfoy. Draco Malfoy."

Ron snickered as the boy said his name.

"No one asked," I said, annoyed by this boy's demeanor, earning me and Ron a look from Malfoy. Malfoy turned to Ron first.

"Think my name's funny, do you? No need to ask yours. Red hair, and a hand-me-down robe. You must be a Weasley," he said. "And you-" he started, turning to me.

"Don't start something you can't finish," I said, looking him directly in the eyes.

He ignored this and proceeded on.

"An ignorant American without a single ounce of magical blood. Why did they even let you in this school?" he said as I rolled my eyes at his comment, before he turned back to Harry.

"Well, you'll soon find that some wizarding families are better than others, Potter. You don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort," he said as he glanced at me and Ron. "I can help you there."

He extended his hand for Harry to shake.

Harry looked at his hand for a moment before looking him in the eyes.