Ch. 22: The House Cup

The following morning, we all made our way to the Great Hall. It was time to award the House Cup, but it appeared Slytherin had won, seeing as their green and silver banners were hanging above all the tables. As we all took our seats, McGonagall called for our attention, and Dumbledore stood.

"Another year, gone! And now, as I understand it, the House Cup needs awarded and the points stand thus. In fourth place: Gryffindor, with 262 points! In third place: Hufflepuff, with 352 points! Second: Ravenclaw, with 426 points! And in first place, with 472 points: Slytherin House!" Dumbledore announced as the Slytherins cheered.

"Yes, well done Slytherin, well done Slytherin. However, recent events must be taken into account, and I have a few last minute points to award," Dumbledore said as we all looked at each other in confusion. "To Miss Hermione Granger, for the cool use of intellect while others were in grave peril: fifty points!"

This caused a surprised look from Hermione, and there were cheers and applause from the Gryffindor table. I gave her a side-hug, which caused her to smile.

"Second, to Mr. Ronald Weasley, for the best played game of chess that Hogwarts has seen these many years: fifty points!" Dumbledore said as more applause came. "Third, to Mr. Y/N L/N, for unrelenting nerve, the smooth use of logic in the face of fire, and dedication to his friends: 50 points!"

More applause came as people looked at me, and Hermione gave me a smile, which I returned.

"And fourth, to Mr. Harry Potter, for pure love and outstanding courage, I award Gryffindor house: 60 points!" This caused a roar from the Gryffindors.

"We're tied with Slytherin!" Hermione said.

"And finally: it takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends. I award ten points to Neville Longbottom," Dumbledore said, as the Gryffindors cheered even louder than they cheered for Harry, which was surprising.

Neville looked shocked.

"Assuming my calculations are correct, I believe that a change of decoration is in order!" Dumbledore said as he clapped and the banners changed to the red and gold Gryffindor banners. "Gryffindor wins the House Cup!"

At this, there was an explosion of cheers and applause, not just from the Gryffindors, but from every table except the Slytherin table.

Later, we were all making our way to the train to make the journey back to London. We were all waving to Hagrid, who was the one who led us to the train station. We got to the doors, but Harry stopped.

"One minute," Harry said, as he made his way to Hagrid.

We all stood, watching as Hagrid handed him a book, and they talked for a moment before Harry headed back to us.

"Feels strange to be going home, doesn't it?" Hermione asked as I nodded.

"I'm not going home. Not really," Harry said.

At this, we all boarded the train, ready for the journey back to London.