Ch. 20: The Stone

The game continued as pieces on both sides were being destroyed one after another, until eventually, Ron and Harry seemed to notice something.

"Wait a minute," Harry said.

"You understand, right, Harry? Once I make my move, the Queen will take me... then you'll be free to check the King," Ron said.

"No, Ron! No!" Harry said.

"Are you out of your mind, Ron? You can't do that!" I said.

"What is it?" Hermione asked.

"He's going to sacrifice himself!" Harry said.

"No, Ron! You can't!" Hermione said as Ron closed his eyes as if bracing himself to make the move. "There must be another way!"

Ron then turned to face Hermione.

"Do you want to stop Snape or not?" Ron asked, and Hermione said nothing in response and simply looked down before he turned to me and Harry. "Harry, Y/N, it's you two that have to go on. Not me, not Hermione, you two."

There was a pause and silence before Harry gave a nod, and I realized he was right. There was no other way.

"Knight... to H3," Ron said as the piece began moving to its position. "Check."

The Queen drew her sword and stabbed the horse, exploding it to bits as Ron flew off and landed on the ground, unconscious.

"Ron!" Harry yelled, and Hermione and I were about to make our way toward him. "No! Don't move!"

We both stopped in our tracks at his words.

"Don't forget, we're still playing," Harry said before making his way to the King. "Checkmate."

The King dropped his sword, and it crashed to the ground, signaling that the game had ended. We all made our way to Ron, crouching beside him.

"Take care of Ron. Then, go to the owlery. Send a message to Dumbledore. Ron's right... we have to go on," Harry said.

"You'll be okay, Harry, Y/N. You're great wizards. You really are," Hermione said.

"Not as good as you," Harry said.

"I second that," I said with a smile. Hermione returned the smile.

"Me? Books and cleverness. There are more important things. Friendship, and bravery. And guys, just be careful," she said as she leaned forward towards me and kissed me on the cheek, whispering into my ear, "Stay safe. For me."

My face was completely red at this as I nodded. Harry said nothing, but had a smirk on his face. I elbowed him.

"Let's go," I said as he nodded. We made our way to the next room.

Immediately, purple flames shot up behind us, blocking our exit, and another flame, this one black, shot up in front of us, blocking the way forward. In front of us was a line of seven potions. Each different colors. On the table was a sheet of paper. I picked it up and read it:

Danger lies before you, while safety lies behind

Two of us will help you, whichever you would find

One among us seven will let you move ahead

Another will transport the user back instead

Two among our number hold only nettle wine

Three of us are killers, waiting hidden in line

Choose, unless you wish to stay here for evermore

To help you in your choices, we give you these clues four: