Ch. 14: Christmas Break

The next day after the Quidditch match, the four of us were walking with Hagrid, talking about what happened at the Quidditch match.

"Nonsense! Why would Snape put a curse on Harry's broom?" Hagrid asked as we told him what we witnessed.

"Who knows? Why was he trying to get past that three-headed dog on Halloween?" Harry asked, causing Hagrid to turn to us with a look of shock.

"Who told you 'bout Fluffy?" Hagrid asked.

"Fluffy?" I repeated.

"That thing has a name?" Hermione asked Hagrid.

"Well, of course he's got a name. He's mine. I bought him off an Irish feller I met down at the pub last year. Then I lent him to Dumbledore to guard the..." Hagrid said, stopping himself, which pretty much confirmed our suspicions.

"Yes?" Harry asked.

"The what, Hagrid?" I asked.

"I shouldn't have said that," Hagrid mumbled, "No more questions! Don't ask any more questions. That's top secret, that is."

"But, Hagrid, whatever Fluffy's guarding, Snape's trying to steal it!" Harry said.

Hagrid gave him an incredulous look.

"Codswallop. Professor Snape is a Hogwarts teacher," Hagrid said.

"Hogwarts teacher or not, I know a spell when I see one. I've read all about them. You've got to keep eye contact, and Snape wasn't blinking," Hermione said.

"Exactly," Harry said.

"Now, you listen to me, all four of you. You're meddling in things that ought not to be meddled in. It's dangerous. What that dog is guarding is strictly between Dumbledore and Nicholas Flamel," Hagrid said.

"Nicholas Flamel?' Harry asked.

Hagrid then turned away from us.

"I shouldn't have said that. I should not have said that," Hagrid said as he walked away.

"Nicholas Flamel. Who's Nicholas Flamel?" Harry asked, specifically to me and Hermione.

Hermione and I shook our heads.

"I don't know," Hermione said.

"Well, let's find out then," I said.

They all turned to me. The following was days upon days of searching for mentions of Nicholas Flamel. At the beginning of December, Professor McGonagall took down the names of everyone who would be leaving for the holidays. Me, Hermione, and Ron put our names down on the list. As the days went by, we continued searching for Nicholas Flamel.

On December 14th, Hermione and I were in the library searching through more books.

"So, what are you planning to do over the holidays? Well, besides celebrating, I mean," I asked Hermione.

"Just spend time with my mum and dad, I suppose. What about you?" Hermione asked as she scanned through a book.

"Probably the same. Although, I was thinking, maybe we could meet up and do something. Maybe go watch a movie at a cinema? Or go to the mall?" I asked.

"I'd have to ask my parents first, but I'd definitely want to," Hermione said.

I smiled.

"Well, it's a date then," I said, jokingly.

Hermione blushed a bit at this, but smiled nonetheless.

"Have you had any thoughts on what gifts you're getting everyone?" she asked.