Ch. 9: Classes

Hermione and I got to our first class, Transfiguration with Professor McGonagall. We were the first one's there, so we sat down beside each other.

"I wonder where Professor McGonagall is," Hermione said as she looked around.

"Maybe there," I said, pointing at a cat that was sitting on McGonagall's desk.

Hermione looked to where I was pointing and laughed.

"Y/N, that's a cat," Hermione said, "Clearly not Professor McGonagall."

"Have you ever seen McGonagall with a cat?" I asked her.

She thought about this before shaking her head.

"So, that means that could easily be her in an animagus form," I said, remembering reading something about an animagus being a person who could transform themselves into an animal after a long and difficult process to gain this ability.

Suddenly, the cat jumped off the desk and transformed into Professor McGonagall.

"You're absolutely right, Mr. L/N. But may I ask, how did you know?" McGonagall asked me.

"Well, like I said, I've never seen you with a cat. And also, your animagus form has similar eyes and facial features, like most animagus forms do from what I've read," I answered.

Professor McGonagall nodded before more students piled in one after another, until everyone was here, except for Harry and Ron. Professor McGonagall explained what we were going to be working on before transforming back to her animagus form and going back to the position she was in when we had first entered. As we were working, Ron and Harry came bursting in, breathing heavily, clearly having ran here. I just continued working as Hermione looked back, rolling her eyes at their late appearance before returning to her work.

"Whew, we made it. Can you imagine the look on McGonagall's face if we were late?" Ron asked Harry.

I stifled a laughter, glancing at the tabby cat on the front desk as it jumped off and transformed back into Professor McGonagall. Ron and Harry stared at her, looking completely caught off guard.

"That was bloody brilliant," Ron said to McGonagall.

"Thank you for that assessment, Mr. Weasley. Perhaps if I were to transfigure Mr. Potter and yourself into a pocket watch, that way one of you might be on time," McGonagall said.

"We got lost," Harry said.

"Then perhaps a map? I trust you don't need one to find your seats," McGonagall said.

The two boys took their seats and began working on the assignment we were given. Eventually, class was over.

Days passed while we all learned our classes and our way around the school. Today, and for the first time, on September 6th, we had Potions with Professor Snape. We took our seats, me and Harry sitting on opposite sides of Hermione. The door swung open shortly after, and Professor Snape came in, walking toward the front of the room.

"There will be no foolish wand waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, I don't expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science and exact art that is potion making. However, for those select few..." Snape said, pausing for a moment, looking at Malfoy, "who possess the predisposition, I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper... in death."

Snape looked over at Harry, who I noticed was taking notes on what Snape was saying. 

"Then again, maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel confident enough to not... pay... attention!" Snape said, emphasizing the last few words as I watched Hermione nudge Harry to get his attention.

Harry looked up at Snape as Snape walked towards him.

"Mr. Potter. Our... new... celebrity. Tell me, what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?" Snape asked.

Hermione's hand shot up as Harry simply shrugged at the question.

"You don't know? Well, let's try again. Where, Mr. Potter, would you look if I asked you to find a bezoar?"

Hermione, again, held her hand up.

"I don't know, sir," Harry replied.

"And what is the difference between monkshood and wolfbane?"

I lowered Hermione's arm after he asked the last question.

"I don't know, sir."

"Pity. Clearly fame isn't everything, is it, Mr. Potter?" Snape said.

I was annoyed by the way Snape was treating Harry, so I spoke up.

"With all due respect, Professor, Harry was paying attention. He was taking notes on what you were saying," I said. "And as for the questions, asphodel and wormwood make a sleeping potion so powerful, it's known as the Draught of Living Death. A bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat, and it's used to save people from most poisons. And monkshood and wolfbane are the same plant, which also goes by the name aconite. But Harry shouldn't be expected to know this. Nor should any of the other students. Otherwise, why would we have classes?"

Snape stared at me for a moment before addressing the class.

"Well, why aren't you all copying this down?" he said, before turning back to me. "As for you, Mr. L/N, five points will be taken from Gryffindor for speaking out of turn."

This annoyed me and I began to say more, but Hermione nudged me and gave me a look of 'leave it'. I bit my tongue to keep from saying anything more. Eventually, Potions ended and we all left.