Ch. 17: Detention with Hagrid

The next night, we were headed down to Hagrid's hut, with Filch leading the way, to serve detention.

"A pity they let the old punishments die. There was a time detention would find you hanging by your thumbs in the dungeons. God, I miss the screaming," Filch said, as Malfoy gulped, and I just rolled my eyes. "You'll be serving detention with Hagrid tonight. He's got a little job to do inside the dark forest."

Hagrid appeared, holding a crossbow. He looked like he had been crying.

"A sorry lot this, Hagrid. Oh good God, man, you're not still on about that bloody dragon, are you?" Filch said.

Hagrid looked at us, sniffling.

"Norbert's gone. Dumbledore sent him off to Romania to live in a colony," Hagrid said.

"Well, that's good, isn't it? He'll be with his own kind," Hermione said to try to cheer him up.

"Yeah, but what if he don't like Romania?" Hagrid said as Filch rolled his eyes.

I had to keep my hands busy to avoid smacking him for his insensitivity, so I opted to fidget with my necklace, which was always somehow calming.

"What if the other dragons are mean to him? He's only a baby, after all," Hagrid continued.

"Oh, for God's sake, pull yourself together, man. You're going into the forest, after all. Got to have your wits about you," Filch said.

Draco looked horrified.

"The forest? I thought that was a joke! We can't go in there. Students aren't allowed. And there are... werewolves," Malfoy said.

"What's the matter, Malfoy? Too much for you to handle?" I said, which caused a glare from him, which I laughed about.

"There's more than werewolves in those trees, lad. You can be sure of that. Nighty-night," Filch said as he walked off.

"Right, let's go," Harry said as Hagrid lead the way into the forest.

We walked for a bit, until we came to a stop at a tree. I noticed a silver puddle by it as Hagrid bent down and dipped his fingers in, seeming to study it.

"Hagrid, what's that?" Harry asked.

"What we're here for. See that? That's unicorn's blood, that is. I found one dead a few weeks ago. Now, this one's been injured bad by something. So, it's our job to find the poor beast. Ron, Hermione, you'll come with me," Hagrid said.

"Okay," Ron said.

"And Y/N and Harry, you'll go with Malfoy," Hagrid said.

I gritted my teeth, but nodded. Harry nodded as well, but Malfoy grimaced.

"Okay. Then I get Fang," Malfoy said.

"Fine. Just so you know, he's a bloody coward," Hagrid said as Fang whined as if to emphasize Hagrid's words.

We went our separate ways and made our way through the forest.

"You wait til my father hears about this. This is servant's stuff," Malfoy said.

"If I didn't know better, Draco, I'd say you were scared," Harry said.

"Scared, Potter," Malfoy said as he scoffed, but suddenly, there was a howl and his scowl quickly turned to a face of fear. "Did you hear that? Come on, Fang. Scared?"

We continued walking until we heard Fang growl. We noticed a cloaked figure crouched over a dead unicorn. The figure raised its head as the silver blood was dropping from its mouth. It had been feeding off the unicorn. I heard Harry gasp as he held his hand over his scar. Malfoy screamed and ran away with Fang.

"Help!" Malfoy cried as he was leaving.

My focus was still on the figure, who started making it's way toward us. We both backed up as Harry tripped over something and fell to the ground. I quickly pulled out my wand and aimed it at the the figure. It continued to approach, and as I was about to cast a spell, I heard what sounded like hooves hitting the ground. I turned to see a creature with the upper body and face of a man and the lower body of a horse. I recognized it as a centaur as it reared, causing the cloaked figure to fly off. The centaur turned back to us.

"Harry Potter, Y/N L/N, you must leave. You are known to many creatures. The forest is not safe at this time, especially for you two," the centaur said, which confused me.

Harry, I understood, but why me?

"But what was that thing you saved us from?" Harry asked.

"A monstrous creature. It is a terrible crime to slay a unicorn. Drinking from the unicorn will keep you alive even if you are an inch from death. But at a terrible price. You have slain something so pure that the moment the blood touches your lips, you will have a half-life. A cursed life," the centaur said.

"But who would choose such a life?" Harry asked.

"Can you think of no one?" the centaur asked.

"Do you mean to say... that that thing that killed the unicorn... that was drinking its blood... that was Voldemort?" Harry asked.

"Do you know what is hidden in the school at this very moment?" the centaur asked, as Harry and I looked at each other in realization.

"The Sorcerer's Stone," we said in unison.

Suddenly, we heard a bark and turned to see the others behind us. Hagrid had his crossbow ready, but lowered it when he saw Firenze. Hermione ran up to me and hugged me.

"I'm so glad you're alright," Hermione said.

"Of course," I said with a smile, but it quickly faded as thoughts popped into my head.

Why was I in danger? Hermione noticed this and grabbed my hands, giving me a look that told me she wanted to talk about whatever it was that was on my mind.

"Hello there, Firenze. I see you've met Mr. Potter and Mr. L/N," Hagrid said as we both turned our attention to them. "You alright, you two?"

Harry and I nodded.

"Harry Potter, Y/N L/N, this is where I leave you. You're safe now. Good luck," Firenze said as he left, everyone's attention on the dead unicorn.