Ch. 21: The Gift

I awoke in the hospital wing and saw that Harry was next to me, and it seemed he had just woken up as well. He had a cast on his arm. Dumbledore was standing at the foot of our beds. Harry had a bunch of cards and candies on his bed. I did as well, but not nearly as many.

"Good afternoon, Harry, Y/N. Ah. Tokens from your admirers?" Dumbledore said as he looked at the cards and candies.

"Admirers?" Harry asked as I sat up and looked at the ones I had on my bed, realizing a majority of them were from Hermione.

"What happened down in the dungeons between you two and Professor Quirrell is a complete secret. So, naturally, the whole school knows," Dumbledore said as we all three smiled at this. "Ah, I see your friend Ron has saved you the trouble of opening your chocolate frogs."

"Ron was here? Is he alright?" Harry asked.

"And what about Hermione?" I asked.

"Fine. They're both just fine," Dumbledore said.

"But, what happened to the Stone?" Harry asked.

"Relax, dear boy. The Stone has been destroyed. My friend Nicholas and I had a little chat and agreed it was best all around," Dumbledore said.

"But, that means-" I started.

"Flamel, he'll die, won't he?" Harry finished.

Dumbledore sat at the foot of Harry's bed.

"He has enough Elixir to set his affairs in order. But yes, he will die," Dumbledore said.

"How is it I got the Stone, sir? One minute I was staring in the mirror, and the next..." Harry said.

"Ah. You see, only a person who wanted to find the Stone, find it, but not use it, would be able to get it. That is one of my more brilliant ideas. And between us, that's saying something," Dumbledore said.

"Does that mean, with the Stone gone, I mean, that Voldemort can never come back?" Harry asked.

"Doubtful," I said.

"Y/N is right. I'm afraid there are ways in which he can return. Harry, do you know why Professor Quirrell couldn't bear to have you touch him?" Dumbledore asked as Harry shook his head. "It was because of your mother. She sacrificed herself for you, and that kind of act leaves a mark."

Harry then touched the scar on his forehead.

"No, no, this kind of mark cannot be seen. It lives in your very skin," Dumbledore said.

"What is it?" Harry asked.

"Love, Harry. Love," he said as he patted Harry's head before standing.

"Professor Dumbledore, both Voldemort and Ollivander told me that I have no magical blood, yet possess magical powers. How is that?" I asked.

Dumbledore turned to me, seeming to contemplate this himself.

"You know, that's exactly the thing that MACUSA was trying to figure out," Dumbledore said.

"MACUSA?" I asked.

"The Magical Congress of the United States of America," Dumbledore said. "This kind of thing has never occured before since the beginning of witches and wizards. I have my own theories, but of course, nothing can be certain."

"What's your theory?" I asked.

"Well, what I think, is maybe because you stemmed from a non-magical bloodline, much like the first wizard to ever exist, you're the beginning of a new race of wizards. Possibly even more powerful than the ones we know now. But, of course, that's just a theory. There is no solid evidence to prove nor disprove this," Dumbledore said. "Also, MACUSA, and ever since your parents' decision to move to London, the Ministry, have both tried their best not to let this information make its way to the public, so it would be wise not to let this be known to anyone outside of those involved in the Ministry. But, to be safe, no one outside of your immediate friend group, or me and McGonagall."

I nodded in understanding.

"Malfoy knows," I said.

"Yes, I'm afraid he does, seeing as his father works at the Ministry," Dumbledore said.

Dumbledore then turned his attention to Harry's bed, where the gifts were.

"Ah. Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans. I was most unfortunate in my youth to come across a vomit flavored one, and since then, I have lost my liking for them. But I think I could be safe with a nice toffee," Dumbledore said as he grabbed a brown one and ate it. "Mm. Alas. Earwax."

This caused Harry and I to laugh before he made his exit. I then noticed my bracelet was glowing green again. I grabbed the card from Hermione and read it.

Y/N,

Hope you feel better soon. I wish I could've been there when you faced him. My bracelet was glowing red the whole time, so I was so worried. But that aside, besides the candies I got you, I have a surprise when you wake up. I got it during the holidays.

Love,
Hermione

I put the card away, and eventually, Madam Pomfrey said we could leave. We made our way out and spotted Ron and Hermione standing on top of a staircase, waiting on us.

"All right there, Ron?" Harry asked.

"All right. You?" Ron asked.

"All right. Hermione?" Harry asked.

"Never better," Hermione said, smiling, as she was looking at me, which caused me to smile as well.

Later, Hermione and I were in the Common Room. Ron and Harry had already went up to bed.

"Tomorrow is our last day," I said as Hermione nodded, but she had a sad look on her face.

I then gently grabbed her shoulders.

"Hey, don't worry. We'll be back before you know it. And not only that, I've already told you, if you wanted, and it's okay with your parents, you can go with us on our trip to visit my grandparents in America. And we could hang out pretty much any time during the summer outside of that, too." I said, which caused her to smile.

"I know. Sorry, it's just, with everything that's happened, it's hard not to feel emotional about leaving," Hermione said.

"I know what you mean. I can only imagine how Harry feels," I said.

She then grabbed something out of her pocket, but kept it hidden from view.

"So, you know when we went to the collectable shop at the shopping centre?" Hermione asked.

"Yeah, why?" I said, watching her hand.

"And you said you really wanted that shark-tooth necklace, but you thought it was too expensive?" Hermione asked.

"You didn't!" I said in shock.

She smiled before revealing the gold-covered, diamond-lined shark tooth necklace. Which was definitely not cheap, by any means.

"I was going to wait until your birthday, but I have something else planned for then already," Hermione said.

"How did you even-?" I asked.

"I used the money my parents had given me for chores and things that I had been saving for university, but I realized there was no need for it now that I'm going to Hogwarts, and most of the career paths don't require any type of university," Hermione said. "And you seem surprised, but I know that signed copy of Hogwarts: A History wasn't cheap."

She was right about that. I took the necklace and put it on.

"I also enchanted it to make it unbreakable," she said.

"Of course you did," I said with a smile, which she returned. "I could also enchant your other necklace and your watch, if you want."

"I already did as soon as I found out how," I said as she nodded.

We continued talking for a bit before deciding we should probably get some sleep before tomorrow since it was already past one in the morning.