Chapter Eighteen

After dinner, Birdie opened her presents from her family. She got a pretend makeup vanity, a large dimpl pops, a large teddy bear, a white princess tent, some clothes, and a timber tots apple bakery.

"Did you have a good birthday?" I asked, fixing her treatment, as she ate some cake. She nodded. "It was the best day mama, thank you!" She smiled and i felt my heart burst. I kissed the top of her head and sat down to post on Instagram

@elchase: this has been a strange year but you make it all better. Happy birthday to my little bird🤍
•••

Today is the day that makes my child being sick hard. We are going to the cystic fibrosis center for Birdie's yearly appointment. It takes us a few hours because Birdie has a lot of doctors to see. Baylor and I woke up early; Baylor went to make sure the car had enough gas and I packed a bag.

In my bag, I had our chargers, Birdie's medical files, jackets in case we're cold, hand sanitizer, and masks. I took a quick shower and put on some black flare leggings and a T-shirt.

Then I woke up Birdie and got her ready; she put on a gray Cinderella shirt and light blue shorts. I tied her shoes before helping her pack her bag. In her little book bag, she took her favorite teddy bear, her iPad, one of her mess free coloring books, some snacks, and her water bottle. Before Baylor came, I made us both a tumbler of coffee and some pediasure for Birdie.

"On the road." I smiled and turned to look at Birdie. She smiled and held her hands up as Baylor drove. We stopped at Krispy Kreme and got a dozen donuts. I handed Birdie a glazed donut before we started on the highway.