Ch. XVIII - THE END

▪︎ 💀🌎💉 ▪︎

▪︎ 💀🌎💉 ▪︎

Chapter Eighteen💀 The End 💀

Chapter Eighteen
💀 The End 💀

Thomas gasped awake before slowly moving to get up, groaning in pain in the process. He carefully lifted up his shirt to see a gauze patch over his wound. He sat there for a moment before getting up, slowly walking out of the medical hut.

He paused slightly, glancing around at the ocean waves on a beach, a ship out in the distance. He heard someone laugh in the distance making him turn around to see a bunch of people walking around with a bunch of huts.

He walked over to where everyone was, glancing around. There was a garden, a cooking area, little homes, and a bunch of people happy and away from WICKED.

A little ways away, Ansel was sitting next to Minho, the two of them laughing about whatever they were talking about. Minho looked up before noticing Thomas making his eyes widen as he stood up. Ansel followed his line of sight before instantly noticing Thomas making him stand up as well.

Ansel and Minho quickly jogged towards him before slowly slightly when he noticed them. Brenda, Frypan, Jorge, Gally, Aris and Vince also walked over as Minho slowly walked up to Thomas. They stared at each other for a moment before the two of them walked forward, pulling each other onto a hug.

💀

"We have come a long way together." Vince said as he stood in front of a fire, everyone sitting or standing around in front of him. "So many have sacrificed so much to make this place possible. Your friends and your family." Vince said, looking over at Ansel making him smile sadly and look down at a picture of him and his parents.

"So here's to the ones who couldn't be here. Here's to the friends we lost." Vince said, making some people raise their cups up. "This place is for you. It's for all of us." Vince said before turning to point at a stone pillar. "But this, this is for them." He said.

"So, in your own time, in your own way, come make your peace. And welcome to the Safe Haven!" He yelled, making people cheer and clap. Ansel and Thomas glanced at each other before Ansel held his cup up, making Thomas chuckle before clinking his cup against Ansel's.

A few minutes later, everyone talked, laughed and drank together while Ansel, Minho and Thomas sat next to each other. "This is gonna be a good home for us." Minho said and Thomas nodded, "Yeah." He said as he watched everyone have fun.

"You had this on you while you were passed out." Ansel said, making Thomas look over to see Newt's necklace, "I remember Newt giving it to you so, figured we'd keep it safe for ya." Ansel said as Thomas grabbed it and stared at it for a moment. "Thanks, guys." Thomas said and Minho nodded before patting his shoulder, "See you out there." He said.

"See ya." Thomas said as Ansel and Minho walked away before Thomas looked down at the necklace. He wrapped the cord around his fingers before noticing the top coming off, making him pull it off. He furrowed his brows slightly as he pulled out a rolled up piece of paper before unrolling and unfolding it to find a letter from Newt.

"Dear Thomas... This is the first letter I can remember writing. Obviously, I don't know if I wrote any before the maze. But even if it's not my first, it's likely to be my last. I want you to know that I'm not scared. Well, not of dying, anyway. It's more forgetting. It's losing myself to this virus. That's what scares me."

The group watched with sad smiles Ansel carved Newt's name into the rock as well as many other names that other people had carved. Including Alby, Chuck, Winston, and Mary's.

"So every night I've been saying their names out loud. Alby... Winston, Chuck. And I just repeat them over and over, like a prayer, and it all comes flooding back. Just the little things, like the way the sun used to hit the Glade at that perfect moment right before it slipped beneath the walls."

Ansel smiled sadly, staring at Newt's name next to his mom before stepping back. Minho gently grabbed Ansel's shoulders, making Ansel look over at his friends with a content smile.

"And I remember the taste of Frypan's stew. I never thought I'd miss that stuff so much. And I remember you. I remember the first time you came up in the Box. Just a scared little Greenie who couldn't even remember his own name. But from that moment you ran into the maze, I knew I would follow you anywhere. And I have. We all have."

Everyone looked up and smiled as Thomas walked over to where the group was sitting. Brenda stood up and hugged him for a moment before Gally stood up and hugged him too.

"If I could do it all over again, I would and I wouldn't change a thing. And my hope for you is that when you're looking back years from now, you'll be able to say the same. The future's in your hands now, Tommy. And I know you'll find a way to do what's right. You always have. Take care of everyone for me, especially Ansel. And take care of yourself. You deserve to be happy.

Thank you for being my friend. Goodbye, mate.
- Newt."

Ansel sat on the beach watching the waves before someone walked up to him, making him look up to see Thomas. "Hey." Ansel said as Thomas sat down, "Hey. You okay?" Thomas asked and Ansel pursed his lips slightly. "I lost my mom and my boyfriend in less than a year... Not really." Ansel said with a slight chuckle while Thomas raised his eyebrows, "You're doing better than most people would." He said and Ansel shrugged slightly.

"Well, with lives like ours, you kinda gotta get used to this kind of stuff." Ansel said before looking at Thomas, "How are you managing?" He asked and Thomas sighed. "I'm managing." He said, making Ansel chuckle before looking back out to the waves.

Thomas looked at him for a moment before pulling something out of his pocket. "Here." Thomas said, holding out Newt's necklace, making Ansel furrow his brows as he slowly grabbed the necklace. "He gave this to you." Ansel said and Thomas shrugged slightly, "I still have the letters that we inside, but I thought you should have something of his." Thomas said and Ansel smiled as he stared at the necklace.

"Thanks." He said as he put the necklace around his neck and Thomas smiled at him before they both looked out at the sea.

" He said as he put the necklace around his neck and Thomas smiled at him before they both looked out at the sea

~ Go check out my announcements book for any future book announcements ~

🎉 You've finished reading 𝐔𝐍𝐓𝐈𝐋 𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐓𝐇 ➢ ɴᴇᴡᴛ ⁽ˢᶜᵒʳᶜʰ ᵀʳⁱᵃˡˢ/ᴰᵉᵃᵗʰ ᶜᵘʳᵉ⁾ 🎉