Chapter 10- The Truth

Trigger Warning: Sexual Assault

After leaving the hot springs, Rain and I decided to head to the dining hall. A wooden chandelier adorned with candles hung above a large stone table, and on the far wall, large windows let the fresh breeze blow in from outside. Soon after we sit down, a few servant girls come in and present us with wooden bowls of stew. As they placed them on the table, I felt uncomfortable being waited on.

"Miss Umbree, Miss Rain, please let us know if you need anything." They offer politely, and Rain smiles as they bow their heads and leave. I felt awkward during the entire exchange, and I didn't like that they already knew who I was. I don't understand why they would call me miss, and it's not like I was any more important than them. I cautiously look down at the food and examine what they had given me; it smelled like crab, something I had seen but had never had the opportunity to try before, and it was in some sort of creamy sauce. I stare at it for a moment, not realizing that Rain was staring, until she giggled at me.

"What?" I ask defensively, trying to figure out what was so funny. Rain smiles at me as she finishes a bite.

"You've never eaten a hot meal before, have you?" Rain smiles at me sympathetically as if she already knew the answer.

"Not in a long time," I sigh, remembering when my mother used to cook for us when my brother and I were young. She never made anything fancy; even back then, we couldn't afford much. Regardless, I enjoyed every morsel she gave me. Since then, I have been grateful for the days I didn't go to bed hungry, even if it meant having to steal to survive. It's sad to realize that that very thing is what brought me to this place.

"Well, stop staring and give it a try." She suggests kindly, taking another bite. I went for it, and it was not at all what I was expecting. Rich yet sweet, before now, my taste buds thought the best thing I'd ever get to eat was fresh bread. I couldn't help but smile as she watched me, and we laughed together as we ate. I liked my new friend, she was so wholesome and caring, and it seemed that she had somehow managed to stay true to herself despite being kept here for so long. So far, this day hadn't been what I expected, and I had almost lost myself in feelings of sheer happiness, but suddenly, a guard came in out of nowhere to collect us. As we were escorted out, I asked Rain if she knew what was happening, and she said no, but we didn't have any reason to worry. We were escorted back to our rooms together in silence until we heard yelling coming from nearby. I looked at Rain worriedly, but she seemed more irritated than anything else.

"Who is that?" I ask as we get closer.

"Corrina." she rolls her eyes. Soon, Corrina and a guard turn a corner into our hallway; she sounds pissed.

"This is bullshit! Let me go!" she yells as he drags her by her arm. "I was busy, you asshole."

"Lord Zade's orders, now walk," he commands. Instantly, she stops fighting and complies. When she sees us coming, she stops and waits.

"Hello, Rain," she says, gritting her teeth, then turns to look at me. "I take it this is Umbree?" She asks curiously as she steps closer, methodically examining me. Uncomfortable, I just stand there and glare at her. "You aren't at all what I was expecting. When Zade told me you were an aggressive one, I expected someone completely different." She states, basically insulting me, but I couldn't care less what she thinks. I'd honestly like to know what Zade sees in me too.

"Corrina, please be nice." Rain asks quietly, and Corrina ignores her completely. Corrina's attitude is something else, but it seems like she's just pretending to be intimidating so that she can look down on us. She's dressed just as risque as me, if not more, and I have a feeling that was by choice. Her hair is dark brown and is cut just below her shoulders, and her eyes are dark, almost black.