Chapter 74- The Cursed Veil

"What is this place?" I ask as I wander inside, gazing around the room. The place reminds me of a tavern, but it's different. There are drummers in the corner playing away, people in the back getting tattoos done, the bar seems crazy busy and the people here seem to be dancing around without a care in the world, practically getting completely intimate despite being in public. Everything happening is surrounding a large fire in the center of the room that is burning a bright purple and blue hue.

"The Cursed Veil is a club I established after my awakening." She takes my hand and leads me across the room toward the bar. "In this place, the entire purpose is to focus on experiencing and indulging in some of the wonderful things in life." she smiles as she starts leaning over the bar. "Yoohoo, Roni, get your ass over here." she laughs. A tall, muscular man covered in tattoos behind the bar starts to make his way over to us.

"Glad to have you back again, Miss Serene." he smiles as he reaches behind the counter "And who might this be?" he asks as he gazes at me.

"Umbree, I'm sure you've heard of her." She smiles as he pours us each a glass of wine "Treat her well, okay?"

"Ah yes! It's a pleasure to meet you, my goddess. Don't hesitate to let me know if you need anything." he smiles as he pushes my drink across the bar.

"No need to call me goddess, it's nice to meet you too," I say politely as I take the glass. I take a sip and immediately feel the burning sensation in my throat. I had never had wine before in this lifetime and definitely wasn't used to it anymore. "Whoa." I coughed as I swallow. Serene laughs as she leans against me.

"So, what do you think?" she asks anxiously.

"About your club?" I ask "Honestly, the thing I'm focused on the most is how the hell you got the fire to burn that color." I laugh as I stare at it in awe. She suddenly leans forward and smirks at me.

"There's that smile I've been missing." Serene says happily "It was a simple spell I developed initially involving special herbs and flowers, it took a little trial and error but now it burns brightly like this every night. Now you're probably wondering why I brought you here."

"Among other things, yes," I state as I glance at a couple getting intimate in the corner.

"If you noticed when we first came in, I don't let just anyone in here. When I'm not working on my research, I spend time in the city and sometimes come across people who pique my curiosity. I instruct them how to come here and one by one I have filled this place with those I deem worthy of experiencing everything that I have found to offer." She suddenly takes my drink away, then takes both of my hands. "Tonight, I am going to get you out of your own head for a while, and based on what you told me earlier, I think I have a way that you can start taking back control of your body. If nothing more, then at least in the simplest way possible." she suddenly points to the people getting tattoos across the room.

"Seriously?" I ask skeptically.

"Yes, seriously." she laughs "Look, I've had some rough things happen in my life too, and surprisingly, permanently controlling the appearance of my skin has been the most unexpected thing to help me feel better. Besides, it's about time you got your band on your calf again." she smiles as she pokes at my leg with her toes. I think about it for a moment as I watch the artist carefully needling ink through a girl's skin.

"You know what, I think you're right." I smile, suddenly feeling determined "But I think I want to move it this time around. I could use a change." I say as I grab my drink and start to head over.

"Atta girl! Now that's what I'm talking about!" Serene yells excitedly. When we make our way to them, another young woman, probably about my age, comes over and joins us. She's covered head to toe in an intricate vine pattern that must have taken weeks to complete.

"Sisi, don't tell me you're finally letting me work on you again?" she says excitedly as she hugs Serene.

"Not tonight Crista, allow me to introduce you to my sis-in-law, Umbree." Serene smiles as she motions to me.

"Hello hello! I'm so glad to finally meet you!" she quickly goes in for a hug "Sisi has told me so much about you." she explains.

"All good things, I hope." I laugh nervously.

"Oh absolutely. You're a badass!" she stated excitedly as she had me sit down in front of her on the bench "So, I take it you're ready to get something done?" she asks. I smile and quickly nod, pointing to my left arm.

"In the past, I've had a zig-zag band on my leg. I was thinking of doing it on my arm." I explain. She peeks at my skin and taps the spot a few times, then smacks both of her knees as she gets up.

"Sounds like a plan, let me grab my tools." she quickly rushes over to a chest and starts sifting through things.

"Serene, I can't believe you talked me into this." I laugh as I lay back on the bench. Serene laughs as she downs the rest of her first drink.

"It didn't take too much convincing, plus it's not like it's your first time doing this." she smiles as she waves across the room. Eloy suddenly comes in and makes his way through the crowd to us as Crista comes back with her stuff.

"Ready?" she asks as she starts to dip the needle into a small jar of black ink.

"As I'll ever be, let's do this." I laugh.

"That's the spirit!" she laughs "Here it comes," she states. The first tap always hurt the worst, the anticipation was a killer. Once you got used to the feeling, it wasn't so bad though. I was surprised she was so talented for her age, I could have never seen myself doing anything like that this young.

"Sweetie, did you already talk Umbree into a tattoo?" Eloy laughs as he joins us.

"In my defense, she didn't have to say yes." Serene laughs as she comes back with more drinks.

"She's right, this was actually a good idea." I laugh, wincing through the pain.

"See?" Serene laughs as she sits beside me. Eloy casually leans against the wall and watches Crista as she works, seemingly impressed by how steady she is.

"So, did you two have any other plans here tonight?" Eloy asks.

"Beats me, I didn't even know what we were doing till we got here." I snicker.

"No plan, only the moment. Let's just see where the night takes us." Serene smiles as she raises her drink in the air.

"To the moment." Eloy chimes in, and I carefully grab mine and do so as well.

"To living in the moment."