Chapter 34- Celebration

Finally dressed and ready, I nervously follow Isobel as she escorts me down to the main hall. Zade and Serene had been waiting for us, dressed in ceremonial clothing and eccentric jewelry, wearing their crowns for the first time in ages. Serene's hair had been pulled up and carefully weaved around the gold. I had seen them dressed this way at festivals in the past, but now that I was up close, I can see that what they wore were antiques. As we approach them, I  realize they are having a heated discussion, but I can't tell what it's about. Suddenly, Serene nudges Zade as she notices us. When he turns around, I swear he looks as though he is about to cry.

    "My god, you look stunning." He smiles, cupping his hands over his mouth. Serene glances up and down at me and gives her usually twisted grin.

    "Well, don't you clean up nicely." she laughs, but somehow, her comment feels genuine. Frustrated, Zade smacks her side.

    "You just called her a peasant yesterday; I don't want to hear any sarcasm today, got it?" He orders sternly. Irritated, she rolls her eyes and steps closer, suddenly reaching her arm over my shoulder to lean on me.

    "Don't worry so much, brother. We're practically sisters, you know?" she smiles, her voice sounding sweet. Conflicted, I glance over and tilt my head away from her.

    "Yea, well, no offense, but I'm not quite my old self yet, so maybe give it some time," I say, slipping out from under her arm.

"Do whatever you feel comfortable with, hun." She shrugs and starts to wander away. "It's starting soon; you better get moving," she yells back. As I turn to look back at Zade, he reaches for my hands, kissing them gently.

    "Are you ready for the world to know who you are?" he asks warmly.

    "Ready as I'll ever be," I answer nervously, and we head for the front entrance.

    "You'll do fine," Isobel says hopefully "just be yourself, and they'll all fall in love with you. They always do," she explains as she walks ahead of us. Zade and I follow her, and my heart starts racing. I know how people view this family; some worship us, while others see the corruption that has come with time and despise our rule. I was about to be seen as one of them, and the entire city was going to judge me. Growing up on the street, I knew so many people with different views about my lifestyle, but what would they all think seeing me like this? I know I have to find Ava and my brother as soon as possible and explain everything. They need to know what I have gone through since my arrest, and more importantly, Ava needs to know what happened to Kaya. She will be crushed when she finds out, but at least it could provide some sort of closure knowing the truth. These thoughts are overwhelming, and with my mind still fuzzy from last night, I feel faint.

I can see the crowd gathered outside the temple when we make it to the entrance. I stay back out of sight, but the sounds of cheering are causing me to feel more and more nervous. Ruthus, Cassandra, Serene, and Blaze, are already in line for the ceremony.

    "You look lovely, dear," Cassandra states kindly. I smile and nod, too afraid to speak. Blaze is still having trouble looking at me; I wish there were something I could do to help him feel more comfortable with what has happened, but it seems like he may just need more time to process.

    "Shall we?" Ruthus asks as he holds his arm out to Cassandra, and they begin to make their way outside, followed by Serene and Blaze. Zade, Isobel, and I stay back, listening as Ruthus starts to speak.

    "Welcome citizens of the Metzia Empire." he begins, and the crowd falls silent as he holds his hands up. "It has been four years since the revival. Elias the fifth, Blaze, returned to us and our kingdom rejoiced. Today, I am proud to announce that, as a complete surprise to us, our high priestess helped guide her return last night. Isobel, if you would step forth." he asks, and I watch Isobel make her way out, followed by one of her sages who appeared to be holding a parcel.