Chapter 82- Shift

Over the past three days since Ruthus fell ill, I've decided to reject the idea of good days and bad days. There's no such thing, if you tell yourself a day is either, it closes off the idea that it could get better or worse. Still, I feel like I have accomplished something now that I have a little more of a pull around here. My brother and Eloy have allowed me to lead the guard alongside them, but not only that, I created a new plan with help from Quil, the leader of the stealth group. When the guard is around, people don't show their true colors, but having soldiers posted incognito, they can catch things better. They've been instructed not to take notice of small crimes such as minor theft and whatnot, but instead, keep their eye out for assault and personal attacks. Not only that but to also make sure that none of the guards are acting corrupt and abusing their power. When I told Zade what I had been up to, he seemed both proud and concerned, but I knew he was just being overprotective of me. When I make it to our room, he is there waiting for me.

"There you are, I was getting worried." Zade says nervously "Where were you?"

"I was out with Quil going over patrol routines," I say as I start pulling my earrings out.

"At night?" Zade asks frustratedly.

"Why do you sound so worried? I was with a high member of the guard, not to mention, I know my way around the streets." I explain defensively.

"That's not the point, someone could have easily snuck up and kidnapped you again." Zade says as he starts to come over to me "I know you want to be involved with the guard, but you need to be more careful." he explains worriedly.

"Don't you trust me to take care of myself?" I ask frustratedly as I set my necklace down.

"I'm not saying that I don't." he states "But you are still not better since... you know. I don't want to see you get hurt again," he explains.

"Sitting here where it's 'safe' isn't going to make me feel any better. This is how I'm taking control of my life again. Don't you understand that?" I ask, getting more defensive.

"Yes, I do, but don't you see why this is making me worry?" he asked angrily "My father is sick, you are still fragile, and everything feels like it's falling apart."

"Zade," I say calmly as I take his hands "I understand that you're worried about your father, but that shouldn't stop me from living my life too. And as long as you keep treating me like I'm fragile, I'm never going to get stronger again." I explain, but he doesn't seem convinced as he pulls his hands away.

"Umbree, you aren't who you used to be, you need to stop acting like you are," he says as he paces across the room, looking out at the dark sky.

"Excuse me?" I ask frustratedly "We both are, and you know that. Or have you forgotten what he made you do?" I suddenly run my fingers over the crescent-shaped scar on my hip.

"That's not what I meant." he sighs.

"Really? Then why was he able to push through and influence you like that?" I ask angrily as I make my way across the room.

"It's not the same," he states as he grips the window ledge.

"Yes, it is." I state "Hexa is a part of me just as Embrose is a part of you, for better or for worse." I stare at his back as he starts gripping the ledge harder.

"It is not the same," he says as he grits his teeth. "He has had a hold over me at times, Hexa is not influencing you in the same way."

"Really? Then how have I bested a majority of the guard, instincts take over and I just-"

"Instincts?" he says, suddenly cracking his neck to each side "Don't you understand what my instincts are telling me?" his voice suddenly begins to shift. As I hear the familiar tone, I start to back away.

"Fight it, Zade," I say sternly as he turns around to face me.

"I'm just doing what's best for you, Camila," he says twistedly. My eyes grow wide as I keep backing away, but he slowly paces towards me.

"Fuck off, Embrose. You don't have a say here anymore." I state angrily, but I shudder as I hit the wall. Suddenly he's right in front of me as he places his hand on the wall next to my head.

"Don't be naive, sweetheart," he says as he begins to whisper in my ear. "If you really think that you can protect yourself, why don't you prove it to me?" As he backs his face away from mine, he smiles at me with a twisted grin.

"You don't want to do this," I say nervously, I can feel my voice begin to tremble as the memories from this lifetime and the last begin to flash before my eyes.

"That's where you're wrong," he says as he grits his teeth, then suddenly he grabs my arms and whips me across the room. I hit the edge of the bed and fall to the floor, I immediately shriek in pain as I make it to my knees. As he starts to make his way to me, I quickly force my weight onto my hands and whip my legs around, kicking his ankles and knocking him on his ass. I quickly jump to my feet and dart across the room, but he quickly gets up and charges after me. I reach for my sword, but he grabs my hips and pulls me back, then throws me on the couch.

"I said prove it, Camila," he says as he starts to climb on top of me. I struggle as he pins my legs down with his knees and my arms with his hands. As he suddenly aims to bite my neck, I quickly headbutt him and he growls at me, but it didn't help to release me.

"It's Umbree, you know that," I say aggressively as he goes in for a bite, this time on my side. As I start to feel his teeth dig into my flesh I scream "Zade!" I shriek, but it just spurs him further. I quickly jerk my leg and push into his stomach, lifting him off and throwing him to the floor, but he drags me down with him.

"Damnit!" he yells angrily.

"Fight him, Zade!" I scream at his face as I grind my knee into his gut. He suddenly grabs my throat and flips me around, slamming me on the floor.

"You think you can take care of yourself, when it's obvious that the only one who can truly do that is me, now submit to me!" he growls at me as he chokes me.

"Never." I gasp, trying to breathe as I rip at his hands.

"You belong to me, Camila," he shouts aggressively as he throws my head down and sits up on top of me. I quickly grip my hands to the ground and slide myself out from beneath him, causing him to fall back. I quickly dart and grab my sword, then dash back and point the edge into his chin. As he glares up at me, I can see the fire in his eyes. This is not the man that I love.

"You will never own me like that again." I state angrily "Now give me my husband back or I swear to god I will take you both out." I start to push the edge harder into his skin. A light amount of blood begins to drip down his chin. Suddenly, he begins to smile and laugh maniacally.

"Well played, Umbree." He states as he chuckles to himself "I suppose I shouldn't underestimate you." Suddenly he pulls his head back and looks dizzy, barely catching himself before falling back onto the floor. "Shit," he mutters as he rubs his eyes.

"Zade?" I ask, still cautious not to lower the blade. As he opens his eyes, he looks up at me with pure devastation in his eyes.

"Umbree, I... I am so sorry." he begins to cry. I let my shoulders go loose as I drop the blade on the ground, then fall to my knees.

"It's not your fault." I say as my eyes begin to fill with tears "I know he isn't you anymore." I sigh.

"I couldn't fight him off." he cries "I'm not strong enough to."

"It's okay." I say as I wipe the tears from his eyes, then lean into his chest, embracing him "I'm not afraid of him anymore."