ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴇʟᴇᴠᴇɴ

''Where are you going?''

Harley whipped around facing the owner of the voice, placing a hand over her heart.

''Jesus. What is it with you people scaring me? Does everyone just walk on their tiptoes all the time?'' Harley grumbled.

''You're easy to sneak up on'' Carol replied, an amused smile set on her face.

''Yeah, I hear that a lot these days'' Harley mumbled under her breath low enough for Carol not to pick up. It was embarrassing enough that people could catch her off guard so easily recently, she didn't need everyone knowing about it. Glenn would never let her hear the end of it.

''So where are you going?'' Carol's voice cut through the air, snapping Harley back into reality.

Harley hummed, kicking a rock on the floor around, ''Running. Exercise is essential these days. And I think I might be putting on a few pounds-''

''Harley-''

''Which is strange considering I do the most around here anyways-''

She was cut off when a tiny rock hit her chest. She stopped speaking and gaped at Carol, not believing she just threw a rock at her.

''Ow- what the hell was that for?'' Harley pouted, rubbing her chest, trying to soothe the tiny singe of pain.

''You were rambling,'' Carol shrugged.

''So you decide the best way to get my attention is to throw a rock at me?'' Harley asked completely baffled. Carol simply raised a brow in response still waiting for her to answer. Harley sighed, ''Right sorry. And to answer your question your highness I am going child hunting.''

''Child hunting- never mind, it's best to not question these things.'' Carol shook her head. It was true, it was a common occurrence for Harley to sprout the weirdest things so the group had been slowly getting used to it.

''Hey!''

''Thank you.'' Her words made Harley freeze and shift on the spot. Serious conversations. She hated them but people thanking her was even worse. For the sake of Carol, she stood her ground and listened. ''For not giving up I mean. I know everyone has but you and Daryl haven't given up yet so thank you.''

Harley immediately softened, she now understood why the older woman was so persistent in thanking her. In her mind, Daryl and Harley were most likely her guardian angels right now. The only hope she has left for getting her child back.

''It's nothing don't thank me,'' Harley responded, giving her a small smile. She didn't want praise for doing something like this. She cleared her throat, going to the trees in the distance, ''I should be going anyway. I don't want to be out there when the ankle biter starts coming out to play''

Carol laughed before looking Harley in the eye with a serious look. It was a look Harley recognized very well. The mother looks. And she hated it. She did find slight amusement in knowing Carl has to deal with this every day from Lori. ''Stay safe Harley, We don't need two missing kids''

''When am I never safe?'' Harley scoffed earning an eye roll from the older woman. She turned on her heel, making her way to the woods.''And I'm 20! Not a kid!''

The leaves crunched under her feet as she moved through the woods. Her footsteps were light, keeping the noise to a bare minimum to not attract any walkers. Her eyes bounced through the trees, constantly on the watch for movement while her hand lay tightly wrapped around the handle of her bow and the other aligning an arrow up in preparation.