ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ɴɪɴᴇᴛᴇᴇɴ

A/N Just a tease for next chapter. I'm back!

There was rarely a quiet time in the camp anymore. Just as things were beginning to calm down for the night and many were headed to bed, a bone-chilling scream echoed through the air. Harley sprung up from her position on the porch stairs in front of Maggie. The women's arms fell off Harley's shoulders. ''What the hell was that?" Harley exclaimed.

Maggie jumped to the railings, peering out over the camp to see what was making the commotion, but to no avail, she turned back to Harley, scared. I don't know! Go!''

Harley bolted, not forgetting to get her bow from her tent, and followed Rick. Following the pained shouts, the man barged through the metal gate and rushed out onto the field. As they got closer, she realised the screams were Dale's, and the walker on top of him was tearing into his stomach and chewing on his face. She could hear the others' screams as his wails became more violent.

''Dale''

Daryl charged into the walker, tackling it off Dales' body and stabbing it in the skull, but as Harley came to a halt next to them, she knew it was too late. Blood spilled from the old man's stomach. His insides were ripped out, his organs showing from the outside.

''Help! Over here!'' Daryl waved his arms at the group as they ran faster. Rick collapsed on his knees beside Dale, hands on his face, as he arrived at the scene. ''Just listen to me, okay? Listen to my voice. Hang in there, buddy," Daryl muttered to Dale, kneeling on the other side of Rick.

''Okay, hold on now. Get Hershel!" Rick screamed while holding back tears.

Harley turned her head when she felt someone stop next to her, only to see Glenn stare in terror. She placed her hand into his, and they both held on for comfort. She knew Glenn and Dale had a stronger relationship than she had. He acted like a father figure for him so this was a time she needed to be there for him. She stayed strong, offering her brother all the comfort he needed.

Hershel eventually appeared, panting as he scanned the situation. "What happened?"

"Dale, it's going to be okay." Glenn cried.

"Can we move him?" Rick asked Hershel, a tear running down his cheek.

To everyone's dismay, Hershel shook his head sadly. ''He won't make the trip.'' No one wanted to give up but no one knew what to say. ''You have to do the operation here!'' Rick begged, but Harley knew nothing could be done. Whatever they did, they couldn't save Dale.

''Please,'' Dale cried. His wounded voice broke through the yelling. Only sobbing and wailing were heard. ''Please''

With one look at Dale, it seemed as Rick finally understood. He stepped up, took out his rifle, and held it again at someone's head. This time, though, it was his friends. Tears flowed down his cheeks, the rifle in his palm shook violently, and he couldn't find it within himself to pull the trigger.

Carl turned his back and moved to approach the lifeless corpse of the walker. His expression fell when he saw the walker's face up close. His eyes widened and he rab back to Lori, throwing himself into her arms.

"Do something!" Andrea wailed, but Rick couldn't bring himself to do it. Not to his friend. Daryl stepped behind him and slowly placed his palm over Rick's, slipping the gun out and into his own. Rick stumbled back a few steps to give Daryl his space next to Dale. He cocked the gun and looked at Dale sadly, ''Sorry, brother."

Harley closed her eyes, and a moment later there was a gunshot echoing in the air. She clutched Glenn's hand tightly, leaning into his side as an arm wrapped around her shoulders. The two siblings stood in each other's embrace, mourning another of their friends.