Breath of Fresh Air

You open the sliding door to the moving truck and get out looking at the beautiful sun shining above causing your eyes to squint.

"Man...it sure is a hot one out today...."

You wipe the sweat from your brow, adjusting your baseball cap while the movers slide the back of the truck up revealing tons of labeled boxes. You unlock the door to your new home with a bright smile across your face thinking of this fresh start with an empty home to decorate.

Looking around the neighborhood you see a few children with colorful helmets and knee pads with their little skateboards playing with a makeshift ramp in the driveway. Your eyes glance upon two young men, one with powdered blue hair and the other cherry red adorned with a headband. One of them excitedly waves their hand in welcome while the other is sucking on a popsicle with a straight face.

Responding with a wave, you head back inside and start unboxing a couple essentials while the movers continue to haul in the heavy furniture.

Time passes and they begin to pile in the boxes on top of one another getting smaller and smaller. One of the movers pushes hard against a box too wide to grab and lift getting it to slide on the tile. The tape on the top begins to fold over itself loosely, exposing one end of the box.

"Hobby of yours ma'am?" The mover asks politely.

A little drop of sweat runs down your temple nervously and you grab a hold of it, quickly sliding it away from the man.

"Y- yes you could say that sir haha..."

He shrugs and continues his job until the rest of the boxes are unloaded all in your empty living room.

You sigh heavily and open the box from earlier revealing a shabby old skateboard and another decked out in shimmering poker cards underneath with a blood red trim all the way around. Lifting the boards you find all your old trophies and photos with your skating group back home when you were in your preteen age. Taking a hold of the glistening board, you hug it tight.

"Don't worry dad...it's just for fun now....I promise"

You wipe your watery eyes and begin to unload the remains of the box in your office room, setting them up in your preference, smiling as each item is fetched.

Suddenly the doorbell rings yet the door is wide open from the movers earlier and didn't bother to shut it.

Sighing after putting the last medal on its hook, you get up and head towards doorway where the two young men from across the street stand in front of you, one smiling eagerly.