Chapter XVIII

Two mountains of rock were silhouetted by the moon.

Sun was astounded by the sight. They were not like normal mountains. They were shaped like cubes that rose high above the ground, like a pair of twin towers.

He crouched behind a rock, which was all he needed to hide from the gigantic ape that did not suspect him whatsoever.

Blake had no idea he was here either. She was seated on the palm of the beast's hand. She looked up at Kong, who didn't seem to care about her making eye contact with him anymore. He seemed to stare into her eyes constantly, and rarely looked away. At first it was strange to her, but now she found his eye contact alluring.

Kong was no monster. No beast. He was a wild animal. An animal who seemed to be completely alone on this island. Blake didn't know what had given Kong this attachment to her. Perhaps it was her appearance. Maybe Kong found himself attracted to the cat ears atop her head, the unique clothes she wore that he'd never seen before, her amber eyes that glowed every night. Maybe it was her behavior. Maybe she was the only one who knew to remain calm around him. Maybe others scared him while giving in to fear, and Blake was the only one who had chosen to risk remaining calm.

Whatever the case, Kong was attached to her now, and he had no intention of separating from her. While that made escaping the island difficult, she was oddly touched by this. The idea that this beast would find attraction in a faunus made her feel more special than anyone else, even Sun, made her feel. She knew she'd have to leave Kong when she had the opportunity, but she hoped she would get to savor every second she'd spend with him before she left.

Kong bent down to his knees, and his eyes drifted down to Blake's body. He reached one finger down to her, and he touched her arm. He rubbed his finger up and along her body, curiously getting a good feel of every curve. Blake watched him carefully. His finger grazed down and along her chest, rubbed one of her legs. She lifted it up for him, allowing him to observe her. He gazed at the leg, and was careful not to break it as he touched it. He moved his finger to her back, and he felt the magnetic backpack. He poked and prodded at it. His finger moved to her hair, up to her cheek. The feeling of Kong stroking her cheek sent a shiver down her spine.

Blake turned her gaze from his finger, and looked back up into his eyes. His own eyes met hers, and for a moment, she felt as though she were gazing into his soul. Before she'd met him, she'd imagined the beast of the island to be worse than any Grimm. But in this moment, she realized the difference between Kong and the Grimm. A key difference that made him far less dangerous than even the least dangerous Grimm. He had a soul. His problem wasn't an absence of a soul. His problem was that others refused to see a soul there.

But Blake could see it. She could see it so clearly. How fitting that she needed to look past blood-red eyes to find it. But it was there, clear as day. And, underneath the shattered moonlight, it was the most beautiful thing she had ever set eyes on.

Kong removed his finger, and he carefully lowered his hand to the ground. But Blake didn't move from his palm. She just sat there, staring up at him. But instead of keeping her, Kong tilted his hand slightly, forcing her to slide off. She grabbed at his hand, trying to stay with him. But her feet touched the ground, and Kong lifted his hand back up.

Blake and Kong made eye contact once more. He seated himself before her, and gazed down at her. As Blake stared back up at him, she started to feel conflicted emotions. She didn't want to stay on this island. This wasn't her home. She wanted to go back to Vale, with the people she loved. But she didn't want to leave Kong. Not yet.

But then, did she really have to? She could come back. She knew people who could bring her here to him. It would be hard to leave him here alone, but she had more to worry about. The White Fang was still here, and they were still looking for Dust on the island. Meeting Kong on this mission was a pleasant surprise, but now that she knew for sure that he would never hurt her, and now that he had earned her trust, and him hers, he was the least of her worries.