Chapter 01 - Sound of a bell

The day before I meet the kid who lives on his own...

"Well, this is our new home from now on. Did I leave anything else behind?" 21 year old Suzune Rio was unpacking boxes that contained furniture to go with their new life in Room 101 of Shimizu apartment. She looked at her maroon colored eyes in the mirror after she unpacked it from the box. She thought it was strands of her straight brown hair poking her in the eye but no it was an eyelash. "Why is it that the very thing stopping debris going into your eyes the one poking your eye the most? Are you kidding me?" She managed to get the eyelash out. 

"You didn't leave me behind so that's okay~." 4 year old, about to become 5 soon, Suzune Ruri happily said while eating potato chips. 

"I didn't leave you behind- YOU got out of the taxi to go to the toilet. What happened to 'Go to the toilet before we leave'?" Rio asked, a little annoyed with how her little sister was putting it; why was she making it sound like Rio purposely left her behind when she's the one who got herself left behind? "If I didn't turn around to ask you something, I wouldn't have realized you went back into the house for the toilet."

"I didn't feel pee pee..."

"I bet you didn't even flush. Hah...you better knock off that bad habit. Come here, your hair is a mess."

Ruri waddled to her and sat in front of Rio. "I want the mirror facing me so I am at the hair salon~!" She giddily looked at herself in the mirror. Like Rio, she's got brown hair too. The only difference between them were their eyes; Ruri's got brown eyes. 

After brushing her hair, Rio felt like having something salty. "Hey, Let me have a potato chip." 

Ruri stared at Rio before gobbling all of the chips from the packet. She now looked like a hamster that ate too much in one go. 

"You little brat. Is giving one chip to your sister going to kill you?"

Ruri swallowed and then she went to throw the empty packet into the trash can. "Survival of the fittest." 

"Of course." She removed the tape from a box and opened it. Ah, these were all the bowls and kitchen utensils. She carried the box close to where the stove and cupboards were and she started to remove the newspapers used to protect the bowls and such before putting them away.

"If I eat a lot, drink a lot, and play a lot, I will have boobies like Nee-chan." Ruri's words made Rio turn around to look at her, "That's why I won't let Nee-chan eat my chips." 

"Don't use that to justify why you won't share your snacks. Ah. Ruri, leave those alone. Those cookies are not for you."

"What?! There's food but they're not for me?!" Ruri looked so devastated when Rio told her not to touch the cookie tins on the table. There were three tins of butter cookies in total and none of them were for Ruri. "Not fair! Now I'm going to starve! Wahh!!! Nee-chan is hoarding food! Wahhh!!!!" 

Rio used industrial tapes to the back of the utensil rack so she could stick it to the wall at the small kitchen area's wall. She didn't own the place so she couldn't just use screws and nails just like that. She then put the utensils onto the rack once it was taped in place. She's proud of how stable it was. She could feel her stomach growl. It's time to eat something. Since it's Winter, it was best to eat something nice and warm. "Egg drop soup with chicken sound good to you?"